Gun Hub Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,168 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys, I'm about as average a shot as they come, so I was very pleasantly surprised when I was able to dust and hit this 100yd-range steel plate with my snub S&W 49. Here's a photo of the plate from the firing line; you can estimate its size from the paper targets above it:

I did scatter a number of shots around, but that was MY fault, not the gun's...so much for 'inaccuracy' of snubbies!

·
Banned
3,882 Posts
shep854,

I'm IMPRESSED, as i cannot hit the side of a large barn with a Bodyguard, beyond 25M.

Some years ago the USMS did a "shooting study" of "LEO-involved shooting incidents" & found that the AVERAGE distance of a shooting where ANYBODY got hit was THREE METERS.

yours, satx

·
Registered
2,168 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You should have seen my efforts at 25yd, on an indoor range...I got TWO on the paper, out of five shots! A big difference was the lighting; I could barely make out a blur of a front-sight blade indoors, but bright daylight helped make the sights crisp and clear.
Besides, the plate was not shooting back...;-)

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
Good Shooting, Pete! Aww, heck...GREAT shooting!

·
Registered
2,168 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks; it was a ton of fun. What really shocked me was that I was getting most of my shots in that 'trench' and on steel even when I shot DA. I guess I am starting to get the hang of that 'trigger control' thing!

Still, I have no doubt that any of you can shoot rings around me, especially if there's a little stress added. I hope I'll be able to shoot with you, for fun and enlightenment!

·
Registered
5,678 Posts
You da man!! I'll bet you had a lot of fun in the process.

I carry a S&W 431 and I've never tried it at 100 yards. I'm sure I could get one round on target, maybe two...but I don't shoot that gun worth a crap to be perfectly honest.

·
Registered
2,168 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
You da man!! I'll bet you had a lot of fun in the process.

I carry a S&W 431 and I've never tried it at 100 yards. I'm sure I could get one round on target, maybe two...but I don't shoot that gun worth a crap to be perfectly honest.
Go for it!!:D

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
Long ago and faraway, Booya Sam did some defense workfor a guy who shot his assailent at 70ish yards (IIRC) or so. The bad guy was armed with a snub and the local prosecutors decided the good guy was not in Jeopardy due to the inadequacy of the snub.

Sam took some snubs to the range and got consistent hits at 100 yards, with a Colt Detective Special going (again IIRC) 5 for 6 and a S&W snub 2 for 5.

Buddy of mine (young eyes) gets consistent hits at 50 yards on a 12'' x 12" gong with a DAO S&W 642.

·
Registered
5,678 Posts
Back around ’94-’95-ish, I had a S&W model 640 in .357 mag; serial number 7. Went to the Camp Far West open range behind Beale Air Force Base where there was a guy shooting a scoped Mini-14. There was a one gallon Minute Maid orange juice jug out at 100 yards and I hit it more times with my J frame mag than he did with his scoped Mini-14. Admittedly it was some downright decent shooting on my part, but it was also some horrendously horrible shooting on the part of the guy with the Mini-14. When he finished his mag, I got a taste of his gun handling…we left.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts