Gun Hub Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I know, Charlie. When I read this story, I got a tingle running up my leg bigger than Chris Matthews listening to Obama read a teleprompter. :)

·
Registered
2,500 Posts
Just being young is not a bar. Look how many fourteen year olds fought in the US Civil War.

Geoff
Who notes draft registration age as well.

·
Registered
795 Posts
A few years ago this story would have been spiked by the MSM, or the talking heads would have bloviated about how the parents left a gun where a fourteen year old could access it.

·
Banned
3,882 Posts
Skeptic49; ALL,

have you ever heard of the book, CALLOW, BRAVE & TRUE, A GOSPEL OF CIVIL WAR YOUTH by University of ME Professor Jay Hoar?

"the littlest rebel" was from GA & had not quite reached his 7th birthday, upon date of enlistment (he was "the mule-riding mail-carrier" for an AL IN regiment until 1863.) & the "littlest bluecoat" was barely 8YO, when "he went to war" with his father (the child's mother had died in childbirth & there was nobody to stay with, so his father took him to war. he became a drummer.)= BOTH, before war's end, were wearing arms & IN "the shooting war".
(thankfully, BOTH survived TWBTS & both received WBTS pensions.)

yours, sw

·
Administrator
7,758 Posts
This story had a happy ending -- for once -- and I am glad everything turned out as it did for the boy and his family but I can't help getting the feeling they were targeted for some reason or other.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts