Gun Hub Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Maybe I just don't get all this high tech bullet stuff but looking over the data on the new .17 HM2 (and the .17 HMR) a question popped into my mind. There isn't really much the .17s have over conventional HV .22s other then a much better Ballistic Coefficiency and terminal ballistics. Now, that is a good thing, the .17s have less bullet drop, lose less velocity/retain more energy, and due to the bullet design have more reliable/greater energy transfer in target.

However, there isn't that much of a difference in energy levels(especially with the HM2).

What would be the outcome if Hornady developed a .22 Rimfire V-Max bullet? I'm thinking the .22 Rimfire V-Max would be around 25 - 28 grs. By loosing a few grains in wt the velocity should increase somewhat… making a small effect on energy. However, the big gain would be in (the things that everyone is all worked up over with the .17) Exterior & Terminal Ballistics.

Anyone out there (Fernando, Charles, Dean?) with a high speed ballistic program that can plug in some possible number data (the biggest unknown number would be the BC of the bullet) and come up with figures to compare with the below data?

Say a .25 grain, .22 caliber V-Max bullet traveling at 1600 or 1650 FPS for the LR and 2300 or 2325 FPS for the WMR?

Attachments

·
Premium Member
7,055 Posts
Excellent critical thinking.

The .17s all go fast and that is why people buy them. Of course the light bullets are more affected by wind and run out of gas faster.

The cartridges sure look cool though.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
OK, had some time to play around so I developed the below table which includes the .22 SBR and .22 SBR-M (Schmit Ballistic Rimfire & Schmit Ballistic Rimfire - Magnum respectively).

I had to play with the BC of the .17s and .22s to get the Velocity & Energy to match up with the original tables. But by doing so I was also able to add Trajectory data.

I utilized the same BC for the SBR as I did for the HMR/HM2. This is probably incorrect but compared to what Hornady is showing as the BC on the website it has to be closer. Of course I didn't know the other data needed to make this a real comparisom (humidity, temp, altitude, etc) but FWIW......

Not that much of a difference in the "normal" rimfire side of things but looking at the Magnum side... they could have just as well just developed a V-Max bullet for the .22 WMR and came out ahead.

Attachments

·
Registered
55 Posts
Mostly just guessing, but inside 100 yards it seems to me that the .17 is fast enough such that the bullet will come apart and do more tissue damage. Other than that, I guess it's up to an individual shooter whether the flatter trajectory is important.

Art

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The "flatter" crack of the .17 Hornady seems to

disturb the neighbors less than does a .22lr, and the .17 seems to kill more humanely, but it looks a little overly destructive if meat for the pot is the objective.

·
Premium Member
7,055 Posts
Well, I just got to shoot a prototype pistol chambered for it. Absolutely no recoil, lots of flash and noise and very fast. I bet you could have a whole bunch of cases in the air at the same time. I have no idea about accuracy or velocity... you don't learn much shooting into a tube, but it should be interesting.

·
Registered
10,807 Posts
re:squirrel

Squirrel = Baumratte

I'd consider a center fire .17 but not a rimfire.

·
Registered
9 Posts
.20 WBR

Wait a minute, guys. How about a .20 rimfire? Really fast, but a little more "beefy" than the .17 when it hits something! :D

·
Registered
149 Posts
Re: .20 WBR

1911WB said:
Wait a minute, guys. How about a .20 rimfire? Really fast, but a little more "beefy" than the .17 when it hits something! :D
Remington tried that a few years ago with the 5mm & it fell flat on its head. Now there are guns out there & no ammunition since Remington quit supporting it. You occasionally see ammo for sell on Gunbroker, but its to expensive to shoot.

Now, my thoughts would be a 6mm/24caliber rimfire wiht a case about the size of a 22 Hornet would kick butt. Give it a 45-55 grain bullet & you would have a great coyote killer during those seasons where centerfires are forboden.

But thats my opinion, your mileage may vary.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.