Gunhub.com banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK....Now that I have my CMP Garand, and a USGI .30 Carbine, I thought I'd round out my collection with a 1903. I would like to have just a single "shooter" ( not a wall mount decoration). I know about the higher serial numbered 1903s being perhaps "safer". However, the CMP is sold out of the A3s. I know the MK1s are perhaps more collectible simply because fewer were made (to accept the Pederson Device-nearly all of which were destroyed).

The rear peep of the 1903A3 is perhaps a better "combat" sight. I would shoot informally at the rifle range so....With good lighting is the standard 1903 ladder type sight any less (or more) accurate than the rear peep of the A3?

My vision is not wonderful (20/30) and at 100 yards, my vision is more limiting than the rifle. I find it easier using a peep BUT my Moslin Nagant seems to work OK with group sizes not much greater than my Garand or my Enfield.

So....Anyone that has handled these rifles with a opinion as to which one model to get (no, getting all three is not an option)?

Thanks!

·
Registered
2,446 Posts
I suppose the 1903 rear sight is somewhat more accurate, due to the fact that it can be adjusted more. However, many people report this is offset by the fact that the 1903A3 rear sight is closer to the eye.

There seems to be little difference in condition with the CMP 1903s - most will have replacement parts, Greek refinish and oil-soaked stocks. If you don't expect something that looks like it came off the assembly line and consider it a shooter and not a collector, you'll probably do all right. I would still try to go to Camp Perry myself and pick one out.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts