Gun Hub Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,055 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We've talked several times about 1911 magazines and they are very often the source of feed or function problems. I've tried to explain how the lips must let the cartridge go at just the right time for the rim to slip under the extractor. If it comes out too early the stoppage is often with the round sticking straight up and caught by the slide. If it is too late the round will usually be nose down into the feed ramp or frame.

The photograph is one I made for Handloader and is used with permission.

It shows an original 1911 magazine with the standard GI configuration used all the way through WWII. In the middle is a magazine we modified using a mandrel that slid into the magazine body and the lips were formed around it with a hammer.

On the right is a brand new Check-mate magazine. While there are some small differences in shape among the various brands most are similar.

Attachments

·
Registered
5,714 Posts
Charlie, I use mainly my Wolff Seven-Rounders( I have fifteen of them), some McCormick Shooting Stars that have proven reliable and threee Kimbers. I've already worn out my Mec-Gars. How good are the Check-Mate magazines you use?

·
Premium Member
7,055 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Fine so far.

The ones I have came with a S&W awhile back. Just looking they sure look a lot like the ones that have somebody else's name. I think they do a lot of OEM stuff.

·
Premium Member
7,055 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No... the earliest S&W 1911s did have mec-gar magazines but marked with the S&W logo but this latest one came with chek-mate marked (no S&W logo).

·
Registered
2,499 Posts
After 30 years, some of my old Mec-gars with the plastic ball bearing followers started spreading the feed lips and becoming unreliable with my Series 70 Mk IV, my old bright blue Springfield is less picky.

After some testing I replaced them with a set of new McCormicks in silver I did keep the test Wilson, which has advantages, but considerable additional expense if I drop it on a stage and step on it, I would feel REALLY REALLY BAD, and I am not a serious competitor.

Geoff
Whose boss tends to grant him OT on scheduled shoot days...bless us St. Murphy.

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
I've got a cornoku....cornacop....I gotta a bunch of 1911 magazines of different brands. My hands down favorites are the Kimber TacPro 7 rounders (I've played around with some 8 rounders, but have experienced a few problems...just don't think the extra round is worth it) . They're kinda pricey, but all have run flawlessly in my 1911. I've also got more than a few unmarked-got no idea who made'em mags that have worked well, too.

Thanks for the comparison photo of the feed lips, Charlie. Being pretty much a village idiot about just how that feature impacts function, I now have at least a basic understanding of the concept.

So is this a basic truth for all magazines? I mean formed feed lips versus the gradual taper seen in the original 1911 mag, or is this specific to 1911's only?

·
Premium Member
7,055 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So is this a basic truth for all magazines? I mean formed feed lips versus the gradual taper seen in the original 1911 mag, or is this specific to 1911's only?
I think so in general terms but few other cartridges have the variety of bullet shapes available for the .45. But almost all pistols want the rim to slide up under the extractor. Didn't somebody say, "timing is everything"?

The majority of my cornucopia ( :) ) are either McCormick or the KimPro 8 round. They look very similar to me.

I don't really trust any of the 8's when stuffed full so mine always have 7. The 8 is a convenience so when I clear the gun I can put the 8th in the magazine to avoid having a loose round that will end up lost or in the way. When I load for carry it is under ideal conditions so there's no sweat. The spares always have 7.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts