Gun Hub Forums banner

1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Years back I had a Kimber TLE/RL2. I traded a Kimber Custom II for it (And a nice chunk of cash, of course). I was attracted by the night sites, the checkering on the grip and of course the rail. We had just gotten weapons lights for our Glock's at work, and I was somewhat enamored of the "flashlight-on-the-gun" thing.

Now I never noticed a difference in handling with my Duty Glock with a rail...but, Duhhh, the frame is polymer, not steel. I noticed pretty quick with my TLE that the rail really changed the feel and balance of the good ol' 1911. So much so, that I really didn't like carrying it (I had to use a belt slide 'cause I couldn't find or afford any other holster at the time) or shooting the durn thing.

Anbody else find the steel framed rail guns awkward? Or is it just this old Irishman?

·
Super Moderator
13,173 Posts
Having spent so much time playing with LW Commanders, an alloy-framed 1911 GM, and a steel-framed Ciener conversion (aluminum slide), I have to admit that when picking up any all-steel 1911 these days, it feels hella heavy for a few minutes.

I don't care for light rails on any handguns, but especially dislike what they do to the classic lines of the 1911. It's kinda like seeing big ugly 22" wheels on a '55 Chevy. :evil:

·
Super Moderator
13,173 Posts
I see a feature-length magazine article: "1911 Light Rail: Eyesore or Travesty?" :lol: :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Snake: "like seeing big, ugly 22" wheels on a '55 Chevy."

Charlie: "Putting a light rail on a 1911 is the eighth deadly sin."

Tim: "I have 1 1911 with a light rail. It lives in the nightstand. I don't like it.

Hmmm. I think I see a pattern developing... :)

·
Registered
2,168 Posts
IrishCop said:
Snake: "like seeing big, ugly 22" wheels on a '55 Chevy."

Charlie: "Putting a light rail on a 1911 is the eighth deadly sin."

Tim: "I have 1 1911 with a light rail. It lives in the nightstand. I don't like it.

Hmmm. I think I see a pattern developing... :)
Did you really expect anything different? :wink:
Sweeney now, he just might see things differently. Might.

·
Premium Member
7,055 Posts
I don't have a problem with rails on cop guns but for the most part a civilian doesn't have a lot of real justification and few CCW holders are likely to carry a light on a gun anyhow. As has already been said it really makes the 1911 feel strange too.

Like Tim I have a light on my bedroom gun... but mine's an M&P... :wink:

·
Registered
814 Posts
Light rail? Some pistols have light rails on them?

I've shot so many guns, over so many years, that I don't even notice things like balance, pointing, etc. I pick it up, and by the time the sights get to my line of vision, my brain has calculated what it is, what to expect, and how to deal with it.

The top shooters consider me hopeless on trigger rest, for instance. I've shot so much different stuff, my trigger finger practically (and sometimes actually) crashes into the inside front of the triggerguard on resets at speed.

And after the anvil guns of IPSC in the 1990s and afterward,s the weight of a light rail is like, not much.

Finding a holster, now that sucks.

·
Registered
2,499 Posts
OK then, how about rails on plastic frame 1911 clones??

Geoff
Who has a too short rail on his SWaMPy 9c and a non-standard rail on his Sigma and P22...

·
Registered
37 Posts
I have built 1911's with the light rails for folks but don't really like them that much. The one pictured to the left is a Caspian that Charlie has seen, and that I keep that one on a nightstand with a TLR-1 Streamlight on it, plus two spare magazines. That and it is for show and tell for clients who insist they need a light rail.

As Patrick noted, finding a holster is a problem, assuming one wants a holster that accommodates something mounted on the rail. I do carry it on rare occasiond in a holster that works fine minus light.

I have out samples at the moment and there is precious little difference in the balance and feel between the light rail gun and the one without it.

That said, I also like the looks of the 1911 better without the rails.

·
Registered
5,714 Posts
I have the same deep inner feelings for Light-Rails on 1911s as I do for Full-length Guide-Rods...

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Retmsgt. said:
I have the same deep inner feelings for Light-Rails on 1911s as I do for Full-length Guide-Rods...
I know, Sarge. But with the FLGR, I don't mind as much. My Raptor II came with one, it doesn't interfere with takedown, and the pistol runs great. I guess I'll change it out one day, but I feel no particular rush.

·
Registered
2,168 Posts
Retmsgt. said:
...and Forward Slide Serrations...

·
Super Moderator
13,173 Posts
shep854 said:
Retmsgt. said:
:evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

·
Registered
2,168 Posts
Snake45 said:
shep854 said:
:evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:
...and now, the Latest Wisdom is to not have one's hand forward of the trigger guard when checking the chamber, which was the main reason for the serrations.

·
Super Moderator
13,173 Posts
shep854 said:
..and now, the Latest Wisdom is to not have one's hand forward of the trigger guard when checking the chamber, which was the main reason for the serrations.
Latest? I think we learned that in Gun School, on Day one, about 8:04 in the morning! :shocked:

·
Registered
2,168 Posts
Snake45 said:
shep854 said:
..and now, the Latest Wisdom is to not have one's hand forward of the trigger guard when checking the chamber, which was the main reason for the serrations.
Latest? I think we learned that in Gun School, on Day one, about 8:04 in the morning! :shocked:
I've always used the Press Check; with due and deliberate care not to interact with trigger or muzzle.

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I've always used the Press Check; with due and deliberate care not to interact with trigger or muzzle.
Me too, Shep. Now, with my Kimber, I go underneath with my left hand, grasp the forward slide scales (they ain't serations on the Raptor) snick off the safety and pull the slide back just far enough to see brass or not. At no time does my hand go in front of the muzzle, or even come close to the front of the muzzle. Sorry. I just don't see a problem.

Sorry, Snake. I understand the asthetics issue. But using the front serations like I described just doesn't seem to be a safety issue to me.

·
Registered
2,168 Posts
Back to rails...
I can see their utility; I even got an itty-bitty light to fit the tiny rail on my PF9. For the most part though, it just ruins a pistol's lines, and makes finding a quality holster a pain.

1 - 20 of 60 Posts