Gun Hub Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Super Moderator
13,170 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A nice lady at work just discovered a fair quantity of .223/5.56mm ammo in her late husband's stuff. Half is Winchester white box and the other half is Malaysian 1982 surplus, all in original boxes (all 55 grain FMJ). She asked me what the stuff might be worth. I have a rough idea, but am interested in other opinions/input. Anyone?

·
Registered
822 Posts
Ammoengine might give you a good spread on prices...I'll give you $50 for all your Winchester ammo. :lol:

How much are you talking about here, anyway?

·
Super Moderator
13,170 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I think it's about 500-600 rounds of each kind. :shock:

·
Registered
973 Posts
I shot a bunch of the Malaysian stuff back when it was readily available. I remember it shooting about the same as Winchester white box. It would cost over $500 to replace. Depending on when he bought it, the late husband probably paid less than half that for it. I think $400 would be fair to buyer and seller.

·
Registered
921 Posts
About 8 or 9 years ago I bought a case (1000 rounds) of WWB Q3131 ammo for $99.

It goes for a bit more than that today.

Seriously, the cheapest I've seen equivalent ammo retailing for locally was $6.98/20 . . . that was Remington UMC at Dick's Sporting Goods a month or so back. So 500 rounds would be worth somewhere around $175 + tax.

Malaysian stuff . . . I really don't remember a lot of people talking this up on the milsurp market. ("Don't shoot ammo that comes from a place where you wouldn't drink the water.") Some might disagree, but personally I'd put this nearly 30-year old Malay stuff at no more than 2/3 the price of the new Rem UMC. Call it around $135 for 500 rounds.

Total for the lot - $310 or so, $350 tops; adjust a bit for actual round count.

·
Registered
93 Posts
I have no expierience w/ Malay 5.56.

I have put about 100 rounds of Malay .308 through a DSA/SA58. A friend has run about the same amount through his M1-A.
It shoots very good. I would procure more if I get the chance. I'll prolly talk the seller down by telling him :
("Don't shoot ammo that comes from a
place where you wouldn't drink the water.") :lol:

·
Registered
118 Posts
1 - 8 of 8 Posts