Gun Hub Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I emailed Remington Customer Service to see if it's OK to load Accelerators in a lever tube (Marllin 336)and they said it was OK. When I bought the Accelerators at the store the clerk warned me about stacking in a tube magazine. I once again wrote to Remington to get a second oppinion and this time they said it's not OK to load Accelerators in a tube magazine, because they're too pointed. Anyone have experiance with this one :?:

·
Premium Member
7,055 Posts
I don't have any to study but the simple test is to see whether or not any pointed area stands above the sabot. If so, then they should not be used in tubes. but since 99% of all 30-30s have tubular magazines it would be a bit odd if Remington didn't allow for that.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The pointed bullet ablolutely stands above the Sabot. I think one thoery is that the 30-30 doesn't recoil enough to activate the primer on the top shell. The 55gr bullets are not real pointed, but I sure don't want to try it until I talk to someone who has shot a lot of them.

·
Registered
149 Posts
I have shot several boxes thru a Marlin 336 whciha has a tube magazine without any problems. The only thing I ever noticed was some nose deformation probably caused when pushing them thru the gate.

·
Premium Member
7,055 Posts
When in doubt go to the source:

The #1 R&D guy at Remington's Lonoke, AR plant says it is perfectly safe.

While there is a small part of the bullet above the sabot it is lead and deforms easily (as you observed) so between that and the very light recoil (light bullet) everything is peachy.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You can always depend on Charlie for the right answer, or at least the one you want. Thanks Charlie :D

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
Safe or not, I'd be uncomfortable loading those things into my 336's tube more than one at a time. I could do one and chamber it, then load one more into the tube for a followup shot, but that's it for me.
I don't want anything pointy touching the primer. I dont' care if it's pencil lead.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Charlie,

I know what you said about the head R&D guy at Remington, but the below answer from Remington's technical staff confuses me. This is the second answer I have recieved from them on this subject.

Dear Marvin
You can use accelorators as a single shot, but we don't recommend using them in the mag tube as this may cause a chain fire. We hope this information is helpful and we appreciate your loyal support of Remington products.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
He Charlie, remember this controversy I started about stacking Accellerators in a 30-30 with a tube magazine? Remember how the tech guys at Remington said it was an unsafe proceedure, but you said your sources said it was OK? Well guess what. I went to Remingtons FAQ page on their web site and did a search on Accelerators and there was my question. It seems Remington actually does endorse shooting Accelerators in a 30-30 tubular mag due to the low recoil and blunt lead 55 gr. bullet used. Once again your info was correct. If anyone's interested, go to the Remington site and see for yourself. Case Closed, I'm tired of discussing it.

·
Premium Member
7,055 Posts
It is kinda bad though when their own people can't get on the same page. If you still have that e-mail it might be fun to send him to the right answer.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Count me in with those who say there's not enough recoil for there to be likelihood of Oops!

And, the spiral of the 336's tube angles the cartridges a bit, which also helps...

I don't particularly care for the Accelerators, mostly because of the general lack of accuracy for hitting small critters at any distance. I'd rather go on and load 100- or 110-grain bullets in 30-caliber. But, if I had the Accelerator bullets, I'd use them.

Art

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hey Art, good to hear from someone in Terlingua. I just bought the Accelerators to try them out for some Coyote popping around the Sanderson area. They're far too expensive to shoot frequently. As far as the 110 gr. loads, I load for everything else, but not 30-30. I really don't shoot it enough to mess with it. It's just a gun I carry in the truck when I'm on the ranch. Actually the 150 gr. does fine out to 100 yards. Stay cool in Terlingua.

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
"It's just a gun I carry in the truck when I'm on the ranch."

Interesting. You don't put a lot of effort into rifle, yet that is the one that's going to be with you when you are likely to need it the most.

I use a 336CS as my truck gun too when I'm out in the desert 4 wheeling and stuff. If I get into something, that's the weapon I'm going to have with me. For that reason I've invested a lot of time and money into making sure I know where the bullet is going at any given range and what the bullet can do when it gets there.

I've settled on the Winchester Super X 150 grain factory loads. They have a better arch than the 170's. I keep a couple boxes of 150's in my truck and 1 box of 170's just in case I need a heavier hitter.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Actually I have put a lot into the Ranch Rifle decission. I can hit a will with 150 grs out to 125 yards with open sites. I was merely trying out the acellerators. when I'm serious about varminting I shoot a 243 with 80 gr where I can hit at will out to 300 yds.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts