Gun Hub Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
853 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone loaded the 168gr Berger VLD bullets and/or have any real world load data? I bought a box to try out and the load info Walt Berger e-mailed me, for Varget, says 38gr starting load and 42gr max. That's lower than I expected, since I run 168gr A-Max bullets with 42gr Varget (mil-surp brass) at 2600fps, and 168gr Barnes TSX with 44gr Varget (comm. brass) at 2550fps. When I mentioned that, Walt replied that the longer VLD bullet accounts for the lower powder charge. I'm still trying to wrap my head around that because the all-copper Barnes TSX is significantly longer than even a 175gr SMK, but the TSX's powder charge and velocity are comparable to the 168gr A-Max...

Somewhere out there exists a science to this art... :lol:

·
Premium Member
7,055 Posts
Somewhere out there exists a science to this art
If you find it please let me know.

While I agree that sounds a bit low I also know Walt is pretty well tuned in so if he says so I'd at least start there.

·
Registered
853 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Charlie Petty said:
Somewhere out there exists a science to this art
If you find it please let me know.

While I agree that sounds a bit low I also know Walt is pretty well tuned in so if he says so I'd at least start there.
Don't hold your breath waiting. LOL!

I don't doubt Walt at all, I'm just hoping somebody has some data so I can narrow down my starting point for a powder charge...

·
Registered
853 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Been working six days a week lately, so finally got 30rds loaded yesterday. The VLD is long - very long. I had to seat them .045" deeper at the ogive than the 175gr SMKs, 178gr & 168gr A-Max bullets, because they wouldn't fit in the magazine otherwise. So I'm curious to see how they shoot. I loaded 10rds each at 38.0, 39.0 and 40.0gr of Varget and will chrony them when I get a chance...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts