Gun Hub Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone tried any of the Accelerator? ammo in an M14 type rifle? It was made by Remington. It has a .223 round encased in a tan plastic sabot, in a .308 case. Was just wondering if this would do anything too funky to the gas system/op rod. I believe they promoted velocities of almost 4000 fps, but do not remember any of the pressures involved. Any info would be appreciated.

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
rule762,

I have seen the Accelerator in the 30.06 cal loads only. I have a few boxes left over. I have not heard nor seen any Accelerators in the .308 loads yet......

XXIV Corps :wink:
DMZ 70-72

·
Registered
342 Posts
Accelerators in 30-06, 308 and 30-30 have been around for 25 years or so. They do not seem to function in semi auto rifles. At least not in HK 91s or M1As.
Gunseller

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks..... I still have a handfull left, but never shot em in an M14 type. Was curious to see if anyone noticed any plastic from the sabot in the gas system. Was interested in using it for coyote... as it wouldnt tear up the hide so bad.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Accellerators

Shot a bunch in my FAL and they are truly awesome. In Shotgun News reloading section there are several ads for the sabots. They are pretty cheap. Then you roll your own. I use a 75 gr. Sierra and with the sabot it weighs 92 grs. I just use the 100 gr. load data and go from there. Got some loaded up with the 90 gr. .223 bullets but haven't had a chance to shoot them yet.

·
Registered
2,351 Posts
"...using it for coyote..." Not accurate enough. Remington doesn't list .308 Accelerators on their site either. .30-30 and .30-06 only. In any case, the accuracy of this ammo is crappy.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts