Gun Hub Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What do you experts suggest are some of the better .357 hunting bullets for light skinned deer?

I don't reload anymore and feel that hard-cast projectiles are overkill; what about using heavy 180-gr. or greater HP's for shooting under 75 yards?

I'm considering Hornady XTP's or Winchester Partition Gold - both in 180-gr.

-steve

P.S. I've heard of folks loving the Winchester Nosler Gold 180's for all around self defense too.

·
Registered
855 Posts
I do like the hard cast projectiles, and think the Federal Premium Hunting 180 grain CastCore is a fine choice. The 180 grain Winchester Partition Gold, and the 165 grain Remington Core Lokt would be very good choices also.

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
Buffalo Bore is making some new versions of their "Heavy .357 Magnum" Loads. I picked up a box of their 180gr. LFN hard cast gas check loads. I've had them on the range, but not hunting yet. I have to admit that velocity was pretty impressive out of even the 4" barrel of my S&W Model 28 and recoil was not uncontrollable.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I'm gonna try the Win Partition Gold 180gr. If I manage to find a deer and shoot it I'll let you know the results.

Where do you find 180gr XTP's?

·
Registered
51 Posts
.357 for hunting

Has anyone tried the Federal Classic 180 gr JHP? That was the only heavier weight I could find around here (Cabela's, Gander Mountain, gunshows...).

--Otter

·
Registered
1,913 Posts
It's been years since I've hunted with a .357, but used to use hard cast hand loads. I've also been successful with 158GR JHP, Remington or Federal.
I tru to keep my shots to minimum range, and these days it's getting to be a better idea.

I'm starting to look for the illusive "tree Elevator." Guess I need to review my Tarzan movies for an idea.

Have fun,

Gerry

·
Registered
5,678 Posts
I've always thought the 158 grain bullets did well in velocity and were about as close to a .30-30 as you could get in a .357 carbine. I like the bonded Speer Gold Dots as they tend to retain near 100% of their weight.

A good max load with that bullet will do just fine on deer.

GunGeek

1 - 11 of 11 Posts