Gun Hub Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A friend brought his 375 H & H Mag. to the ranch wanting to reload 100 cartridges for it.
He did, the load was 70 grains of RL21 with a 275 grain spbt bullet.

He only had 64 grains of powder left for the last round, he loaded it and I got to shoot it. I have my own 375 H & H and have shot it a lot, mine is a Ruger #1 that I have shot about 500 times. His rifle is a pre 64 Winchester Mod. 70 in excellent condition. When I shot it there was an obvious counter clockwise rotation to the rifle. I have never experienced the amount to torque before.

Folks at the local sporting goods store did not have high mounts so sold him a short eye releif Nikon scope which was the only scope they could get to fit the low mounts. They then added some plastic flip up scope covers, thus shortening the distance between eye and scope further. The outside rim on the scope cover was a very acute 90 degree edge. The right side of the scope left a nice cut over my left eye, nothing serious, but mentioned to emphasize the torque on that rifle in recoil.

Any thoughts?

·
Premium Member
7,055 Posts
My first question is if the twist rate of the Winchester was faster than the customary 1:12 or perhaps the butt was slick which would allow it to twist more than usual.

G

·
My .375H&H has generated torque like you describe. So have my Shiloh's in .45-70 when loaded with 545g Creedmores. A .50AE Desert Eagle tried to twist out of my hands when I shot it.

·
Super Moderator
13,172 Posts
Is there some sort of mathematical formula that could tell us the torque of a bullet in understandable terms, such as pounds-feet or something of the sort?

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I am glad someone else has noticed the torque, thought maybe I had forgot how to shoot,this was my first experience with it.

The recoil pad was deep and soft rubber that allowed better than average traction

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
My friend brought the 375 back last weekend. He went back to the dealer who sold him the scope with the 2 inch eye relief traded him for one with about 5" eye relief.
I shot it about 20 times, the torque did not happen either standing or off of a bench.

The way I have it figured the short eye relief had me way up on the scope with very little purchase on the stock to keep it from rotating.

Two of us shot it and at 100 yards our best 3 shot groups were 1 1/4 inches. The pre 64 Mod. 70 is truly a great rifle when fitted up properly.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts