Gun Hub Forums banner

.38 Special dies

4K views 8 replies 8 participants last post by  TommyGunn 
#1 ·
:) Hey Charlie,

I just sent my ancient old Pacific .38 Special two-piece die set down to Hornady to see if they could touch up the threads a bit, as they are getting very hard to screw into my press. The last couple of threads need a wrench to batten them down. At any rate, the good folks down there cleaned them all up, sent me a 7x14 cutting die to touch up my press threads with, AND a brand new set of Hornady dies! What great folks they are! All of this for NO CHARGE!

This leads to this question: My old dies are a 2-die set, and the new ones are a 3-die set. What makes a 3-die set superior to a two-die set? It is just an extra step to have the case mouth expander. I feel nothing is lost in the old dies, where the decapper and expander are all in one.

What are your thoughts on this matter? I used the old ones as soon as I got them back, and can find no problem with them that a 3-die solves.

#3 ·
What are the functions of the 2 dies?
For all straight-wall cases I have worked with, including the .38 Special, the sizing die will size the case ID down below the bullet diameter. The expander die will increase the ID of the case, over most of the length of the bullet seating depth, to within 0.002-0.001" less than bullet diameter (and it will flare/bell the case mouth so bullets may be seated without damage).
The seating die will seat the bullet and crimp.
Only two die set I have are for bottleneck cases.

#4 ·
Can We Please Get This Spammer Blocked

comment like this ,the more ,the better .
each person has his view ,.but i do admire the articel because of his post is so great .
i will introduce my friends that the people in china are great ,they are friendly and humously ,just like the post in the foram ,aways give us a fresh feeling .

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.