Gun Hub Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,543 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since WW 231 and HP38 seem to have gone missing, I've been gazing at the LGS shelves. IMR 4756 & 7625 seem to be available. Looking at the IMR load data, 7625 seems similar to, but slower than 231 and seems usable.

Any suggestions regarding preference? Any bugs?

·
Premium Member
7,055 Posts
Believe it or not but Hodgdon's manual has loads for both. Their new web site is very friendly.

I haven't used either one, but the data looks like you should be able to duplicate factory velocities with no sweat.

·
Registered
2,543 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was looking at that and wondered if there was collective experience. 10mm looks good too.

Also wondering about .38/.357. I ran across a post on another board about 7625 being position sensitive in .38.

I got into a rut many moons ago while shooting IPSC where I only used 231 for .45. It metered so well I never had to adjust the Dillon. Now I can't get 231/HP38 and I'm hoarding my Unique for 9mm.

·
Super Moderator
13,170 Posts
I shot SR4756 in .45 and .38 Spec both for several years. Liked it a lot until I discovered 231.

·
Premium Member
7,055 Posts
I don't know about position sensitivity since the case is going to pretty full... I would really worry about it if all I did was shoot straight down...:rolleyes:

·
Registered
5,678 Posts
I've had good luck with Accurate Powder's #2 and #5.

When powder gets tight, here's what you do. Get a burn rate chart, find out what's in the range for what you're loading. Go to the MANUFACTURERS web site and get up to date data. Then just buy whatever you can get your hands on.

The powders we have today are just so darned good you really don't have to sweat this powder or that powder anymore; they all work very well (speaking in the light of .45 ACP specifically).

So buy what you can get, find a load, and enjoy; it's really just that simple.

·
Registered
5,714 Posts
William, I've been having a lot of luck with Power-Pistol lately in both 45ACP and 38Spl. You might try it if you find a canister.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I haven't found Power Pistol in 1.5 years.
ANY powder from N310 to PP will work. Bullseye, Red Dot, E3, 231/HP38, AA2, AA5 and Solo 1000 are about the best.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts