Gun Hub Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got an auction notice from Greg Martin Auctions, for those of you who don't have one, there is a 45 cal Luger for sale and maybe the only one available. Might be expensive!

·
Registered
921 Posts
$1.4MM?

Awww, heck, I just rolled over a couple of CDs and don't want to lose the interest by closing them out early . . . I guess I'll just have to pass this one up.

·
Super Moderator
13,173 Posts
Hmmmmmmm. Is it rated for +P?

Where could one get extra magazines?

:lol:

·
Premium Member
7,055 Posts
Two came here for the trials #1 and #2. #1 was supposedly destroyed in the tests. I didn't know there were 6 because none have been reported in Europe and #2 was in a private collection. I got to see it in the 70s and there was a story in G&A several years ago "The million dollar luger". If that is accurate 1.4 may be conservative.

·
Registered
2,499 Posts
Based on the car auctions, there's no telling how high or low it could go.

Geoff
Who notes there are few collectors who could even house it properly.

·
Registered
5,678 Posts
Charlie Petty said:
Two came here for the trials #1 and #2. #1 was supposedly destroyed in the tests. I didn't know there were 6 because none have been reported in Europe and #2 was in a private collection. I got to see it in the 70s and there was a story in G&A several years ago "The million dollar luger". If that is accurate 1.4 may be conservative.
I remember that article, Gary James got to shoot it...that had to be a treat.

·
Premium Member
7,055 Posts
I did too and it is indeed an experience. I just hope it ends up in a museum somewhere.

I have reason to believe this is a true story... the owner when I saw the gun was in the Griffin & Howe store in NY in the early 50s and a man came in carrying a brown paper bag. He asked the clerk if they wanted to buy a Luger and was dismissed.

He then approached the man as he was leaving and asked to see the gun and bought it on the spot. I have no idea what was paid nor how much it sold for from his estate but Lugers weren't worth much back then. Ye Old Hunter was selling them for $25 and I don't think there was much distinction about dates and makers...

·
Registered
5,714 Posts
Went to the Auction website, photos there. Man! That's one fat-barrelled sucker! Use Alogusz' link.

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
The corporate-takeover shark played by Michael Douglas in the movie "Wall Street" brandished a replica and bragged about it as "the rarest gun in the world." An Indonesian billionaire paid $1 million for the real thing, and it became known as "the million-dollar Luger."

That was in the late 1980s, when the Douglas line "greed is good" captured the spirit of the times.

On Sunday, under very different economic circumstances, the coveted .45-caliber Luger found a new owner for half that price at a public auction in Anaheim.

The gavel came down at $430,000 from an anonymous bidder. With the 15% buyer's premium, the 103-year-old weapon fetched $494,500...
Source

1 - 16 of 16 Posts