Gun Hub Forums banner

.45 Super?

13K views 22 replies 16 participants last post by  DavidE 
Re: Triton Cartridge

Tim Burke said:
[quote="Ultima-Ratio":17gcv6hz]It was named the .450 SMC, small primer instead of large to avoid patent conflict with .45 Super
Triton loaded some 45 Super, but I believe they were required to pay royalties. At some point they created the .450 "Short Magnum Cartridge" which had similar ballistics, but they owned the patent.
IIRC, the 450 SMC could be used interchangibly with the 45 Super.[/quote:17gcv6hz]
Thanks Tim, fuzzy memories tho I do recall the free samples of .450 SMC way back on AmmoLab.

Someone mentioned interest in a 230@1000fps? Back in the 80s I swapped into a few cases of Super-Vel from the Denver FeeBees that were loaded with 230s@1025ish, I always wondered why the much funded FED ammo tests after the Miami shootings never listed that load in their rush to adopt the 10mm.

Fernando mentioned the EGW flat bottomed FPSP and upgraded recoil system, I choose a #26lb mainspring and take .030 off the firing pin tip also.

Back when Dean's articles hit the rags I had a customer order 1k each of 185s and 225s, after spending a few hours on the phone I found Prairie Shooters had the .45 W.M. brass, that my friends was a day of trimming!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.