Gun Hub Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1944 Colt 1911 on the way, and I'd like to pick up some extra mags for it. The original USGI mags had a 7 round capacity, but a lot of the mags on the market right now have an 8 round capacity. Are there any problems using these 8-round mags in a USGI 1911? Are they any longer than a 7-round, or is it just a difference in springs?

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
Unless they have a bumper pad on the bottom, they are the same length as the 7 rounders. As for quality, they are about the same. The springs in the 8 rounders may weaker a little quicker.

·
Registered
3,362 Posts
I use the Wilson Combat mags. I believe the part number is 47C.

Either way, it's the stainless body, thinnest base pad (base pad is steel), in a 7 rounder.

I've got an 8 rounder, just like the above mentioned ones, except a round more.

The difference is in the follower.

·
Registered
254 Posts
For what it's worth...

I personally love my 8 round Wilson Combat mags for my Kimber. However, for some reason, if they are fully loaded with 8 rounds, I have to really slap 'em home to seat 'em properly. 'Course, my Kimber's always a been a bit finicky, so I doubt it's the Wilsons and heartily recommend them! One more round is always good.

·
Registered
413 Posts
I bought two Colt factory stainless steel 8 round mags two years ago for my Series 70 Colt. They have worked flawlessly and fit flush just like my old 7 round blued mags.

·
Super Moderator
7,055 Posts
The length isn't an issue and unless you intend to use it for defense neither is the capacity.

I typically use any magazine that is handy for recreational shooting but my carry magazines are either McCormick or Novak 8 round but I never load them with more than 7.

Over the years I have had heaps of trouble with 8 round magazines when loaded full either failing to feed first or last round or being difficult to seat when doing a tactical reload (it isn't the Kimber).

I have also had trouble with Wilson magazines due to the plastic follower which often will not lock the slide back on the last round. I do not use them.

An extra round is good if- and only if- the gun functions flawlessly every time. My experience leads me to believe that reliability is more important than extra bullets.

·
Registered
136 Posts
At the risk of sounding ironic, if you want a gun that functions flawlessly every time. I'd recommend a revolver.

If you can carry a 1911, you can certainly handle the size/weight of a 7 shot .357.

I've never had a single hiccup in two years with my 8 round kimbers, and despite the popular wisdom, I have no trouble loading them with all 8.

·
Registered
853 Posts
I knew there was a reason I always enjoy anything written by Charlie Petty, and, have for years. I love the Chip McCormick Power Mag 8 round mags which I load with 7 rounds. I agree that 8 is OK but, years ago we grew up with 30 round mags that did not like to be fully loaded, and, would give no trouble if loaded with 28. They were also recommended by Hilton Yam. They have a stainless body and the bumpers are nice to have. Regards

·
Registered
136 Posts
I apologize if my post was caustic.

I was trying to point out that any firearm contains a certain margin of failure.

You shouldn't put a magazine in your pistol that is not at least relatively consistent time and again.

·
Super Moderator
7,055 Posts
I disagree about anything concerning .357 for the recoil is far more obnoxious than a .45 but you're absolutely right about revolver relaibility.

Actually I carry a small revolver in my pocket all the time, but my primary is a 1911... that has never choked either.

·
Registered
136 Posts
I disagree about anything concerning .357 for the recoil is far more obnoxious than a .45 but you're absolutely right about revolver relaibility.
I absolutely agree for carry purposes. I just picked the 7 (and also 8 ) shot "combat" magnum because it had the same number of higher powered rounds.

I should have qualified that I almost never actually carry my 1911 due to weight, though I'll occasionally keep it under the seat in my car.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I keep Mc Cormick 8 rounders in my '44 Ithica with no problems. I spent some time at the range "proving" these mags, along with any other ammo or parts changes before I jump into using it with my carry weapon.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts