Gun Hub Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello folks,
I recently bought a very nice Remington 870 with the smoothbore slug barrel w/sights, wood fore-end and buttstock and factory extended magazine tube. Nice blue and a great smooth action, it was thought to be one of their early "Police" guns. The buttstock has a factory sling swivel installed, but the metal hanger at the front of the extended mag tube is missing its swivel, although the hanger does have a drilled hole for one.
Does anyone know where I can find an original-type swivel to work in the front band's hole? It would appear to require a nut to be slid in place and tightened by turning the swivel. Other than trying to pry one out of Remington, who is known to not like selling "Police" gear to non-LEO types, does anyone know who might produce such a thingy?
Thanks again for your kind assist!
Amanda4461

·
Super Moderator
13,172 Posts
Amanda4461 said:
Hello folks,
I recently bought a very nice Remington 870 with the smoothbore slug barrel w/sights, wood fore-end and buttstock and factory extended magazine tube. Nice blue and a great smooth action, it was thought to be one of their early "Police" guns. The buttstock has a factory sling swivel installed, but the metal hanger at the front of the extended mag tube is missing its swivel, although the hanger does have a drilled hole for one.
All the Remington factory extended mags I've seen don't have a "hanger," they just literally hang out in space--a weak point. Either this really is some "early" thing I haven't seen, or--as I suspect--someone added a common aftermarket barrel/mag brace with sling swivel. I have several of these on guns and they sound exactly like what you're describing.

The whole units you're talking about only cost 8 or 10 or 12 bucks or something--you might have to buy a whole new one to get that screw.* Or, if you can find out who makes them, you might contact them about purchasing just that screw.

*Every married man on the board is making up a risque punchline right about now.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys, I really like the link to Tanks. Lots of interesting things there. On a hunch, I called Remington and they sold me the original swivel and bolt/washer/nut combo for the gun, which turned out to be original Remington, for about $8 bucks. While they did also sell me a magazine spring, they would not sell me another extension, claiming it was for LE only. The postage cost more than the parts. This old guns extension clamp looks identical to the one on the newest 870 Tactical gun with all the fiberglass and camo on it. Same for the extension, only mine is a high polish blue and theirs is camo.
I appreciate your help.....Amanda4461

·
Registered
92 Posts
I had the same problem 28 years ago and solved it by using an Uncle Mikes machine screw stud and silver soldering it (with 2 washers and a nut) to the botton of the bracket. Still holding.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts