Gun Hub Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,499 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was blazing a trail on Saturday morning through the wilds of the World Wide Web when I stopped at Remington Ammo and browsed a bit.

Interesting information:.45 Auto FMJ ammo from Remington Data from 5” Barrel

Order No.: 21448 or 21469
Bullet Wt. Gr: 230
Muzzle Vel. FPS: 835
Muzzle En ft/lb. 356

Order No.: 21456
Bullet Wt. Gr: 185
Muzzle Vel. FPS: 1000
Muzzle En ft/lb. 411

The lighter bullet at a higher velocity give a greater energy and it is still .45"

Opinions solicited would the 185gr be better than 230 in the evil states and territories where well designed projectiles are forbidden?

And does anyone make a 185 gr Target Wadcutter in .45 ACP anymore?

Geoff
Who will take his wife to the C-F-A Buy-cott for lunch today and then check the facilities at a range he hasn't explored in years..sigh.

·
Premium Member
7,055 Posts
Both Remington and Hornady have the 185 JSWC target bullet. The Remington is available in bulk from Midway. I use it with 5.7 gr. of 231 and in my gun it's a 1.5" load.

One of the problems with using muzzle energy is that velocity is squared so it counts for more on paper, but a very good argument could be made for using momentum and then weight beceome a bigger factor.

Given the situation as you state it my preference is for the 230.

·
Registered
2,543 Posts
Well, at least in NJ the EFMJ is considered legal by the state attorney general.

·
Registered
2,168 Posts
In one of his books from the '60s, Jeff Cooper recommended SWC for SD use, due to the bullet's 'cutting' effect. This was long before effective pistol-caliber HPs, of course.

·
Registered
2,157 Posts
i had nothing but trouble with 185s- changed springs, adjusted loads, you name it- my colt just plain didn't like 185s- i went back to my old favs, 200 grain swcs by h& g backed by 6.0 of 231- this is NOT a "pussy " load- but i can depend on it

·
Banned
3,882 Posts
to all,

fwiw, like t-star, i've tried dozens of factory & reloads & my GM likes NOTHING quite as well as standard government 230gr ball, though it shoots them all DECENTLY.

pardon me but i see NO good reason to change, when your/my life depends on it.
(fwiw, even my lady's younger son's "Philipine special" shoots NOTHING better than ball ammo.)

yours, sw

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
Mine is for the 230 simply because of my history with it. I prefer the 230 grain as a rule. However my Commander is a single hole cutter with nearly all 185 grain so I keep it stoked with 185 grain Silver Tips. In a state I couldn't use that then for that gun I'd go with 185 grain ball.
My other 4 1911's would have the closest thing to militaty Ball I could get.

·
Registered
2,499 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Is anyone still loading the flat point ball rounds in 9mm and .45 ACP??

Geoff
Who remembers it grouped well from my MK IV'70.

·
Registered
2,168 Posts
Was/is there actually a round-nose 185gr bullet? The semi-wadcutter I've heard of. Back before reliable HPs, Jeff Cooper advocated SWCs for defence, even over RN ball.

·
Registered
2,543 Posts
Is anyone still loading the flat point ball rounds in 9mm and .45 ACP??

Geoff
Who remembers it grouped well from my MK IV'70.
Check the Hornaday lineup, they originated the loads. They now label the flatpoint FMJs as HAP bullets- Hornaday Action Pistol.

BTW, Cor-Bon Powerball is also considered a 'non-evil bullet' in NJ.

·
Registered
5,678 Posts
EFMJ’s are pretty impressive…they suck for barrier penetration, but in living tissue it’s a hell of a bullet. After that, I believe Speer makes a 230 grain truncated cone flat point; that would be my choice if I were not allowed to have expanding bullets.

The 185 grain FMJ is a new one on me; I don’t believe I’ve ever shot such a thing. Sounds kinda interesting though. Over-penetration is a bit of a concern with 230 grain ball, perhaps the 185 can alleviate some of that.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts