Gun Hub Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My friend is infested with coyotes. I've offered to "help" (it's just as fun for either of us, but I have to have the premise of help there!) him. We can use very large rounds BUT very carefully, he doesn't have permission from the WHOLE neighborhood, only his neighbors.

I'm thinking .22LR with velociraptor ammo.

What would you suggest? It has to be fairly quiet... *EDIT* took out the illegal silencer stuff... not smart to post online
.22-250? 20 gauge?

Any help would be appreciated. We're planning on going all out here this summer when we have some cash, building a tree platform in the creek... NVG...

·
Registered
168 Posts
Rob West said:
My friend is infested with coyotes. I've offered to "help" (it's just as fun for either of us, but I have to have the premise of help there!) him. We can use very large rounds BUT very carefully, he doesn't have permission from the WHOLE neighborhood, only his neighbors.

I'm thinking .22LR with velociraptor ammo.

What would you suggest? It has to be fairly quiet... *EDIT* took out the illegal silencer stuff... not smart to post online
.22-250? 20 gauge?

Any help would be appreciated. We're planning on going all out here this summer when we have some cash, building a tree platform in the creek... NVG...
Silencer stuff? Hmmm....

I'm thinking that if you have to sneak around to do it......then you probably shouldn't be doing it.

You have the approval of your local wildlife resource agency? If you don't, it could be big trouble in the end.

Dot your "I"s and cross your "T"s..... Then ask about caliber and such.

J.C.

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
9MM.
.45-70.
.30-30.
All have done well for me.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Coyote's are considered a varmint where I live, so it is pretty much open season on the critters...IF ya can find them...

I to would advise checking with the local's about the legality of shooting them...

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
223/22Hornet/17Rem/17HMR have worked for us and all are quiet compared to 243 and up
Where there is room my 50BMG is a fun one to use and kills fast. :shock:

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'll probably be using 7.62x39mm now. :D

Still gotta' check on the legality, preferably before the next "The Hunt". Damn yotes.

Wolverton said:
Are they damaging something? Whats wrong with having them around?
Threatening a friend of mines animals... pests in general, deserve ass kicking, etc.

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
I've used a Ruger M77 Mk2 in .257 Roberts for a few years with excellent results on coyotes here in Maine.

Presently though, my .308 Remington 673 Guide rifle using CorBon's 125gr. JHP ammo has been cleaning some canine clocks. This particular rifle seems to really like light bullets which to me is very odd for a rifle which every other caliber it's offered in is a magnum cartridge. Go figure.

·
Registered
342 Posts
I have killed over one thousand yoates over the years. Your situation sounds like you should be using a 223 with 45 grain bullets. I like 55 grain bullets better however 45s breakup better on impact, safer. I have shot 223s within 200 yards of houses in the morning before anyone in the house is up and no one has heard the shot. If you do not have a 223 use a 308 with 110 grain bullets.
Have fun but be safe.
Gunseller

·
Registered
396 Posts
with the neighbor issue , a .22 rf scoped with a pop bottel
"plastic" makes almost no noise . taped on barrel end
i suggest copper plated bullets . not a ideal round but it will do the job, and is "quiet" . for 1 shot . and legal to .

or rem subsonic .22 is quiter than the norm .

i know someone will chew me out safety wise . but ive done it
it works . no lead rounds with the bottle ! "copper plated"
and safety glasses .

·
Registered
2,198 Posts
7.62x39 with either HP or Wolf 154g SP
any "varmint" caliber
I think the .17 HMR will work if your shot placement is good
.308 Win
.30-'06 Sprg.
.30-30 Win
.357 Mag (lever action carbine)
.44 Mag (lever action carbine)
9mm carbines
.45 carbines
.40 carbines

And if noise is an issue--stick with a bow. Check your laws on crossbows and if there is no problem, go with a good pistol gripped crossbow with at least 35 lb draw.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
AR7, that's basically exactly what I said, except I use cotton packing too. Removed it though. lol

Sometime next week we're going to have a little hunt down in the creek. Bringing the AK and 10/22. Need to get the rings for my 10/22, got a 3-9x40 and it's just waiting for a good pair of rings.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts