Gun Hub Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
8,499 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
About two months ago I had to euthanize a cat I have had since 1994. Tisiphone. After a lot of thinking and exploration I have now obtained a new cat, a tortoiseshell. Right now, just a small kitten, timidly exploring a large new home, getting lost under furniture ....
I have named her "Smudge." I never pick easy names for cats ... they always seem a bit ..."outside-the-box."
The picture isn't mine, but one the Animal Services Dept. had posted.

Attachments

·
Administrator
7,758 Posts
Sorry for your loss, TG and good luck with your new friend!

·
Banned
3,882 Posts
TommyGunn,

oddly enough, my beloved has a solid black cat named SMUDGE!

sorry for your loss but pleased that you have found a new friend. = PURRfect.

yours, sw

·
Registered
8,499 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Here's another image of Smudge, this one my own. She is being a typical kitten, running around, rolling, chasing things, pouncing on anything that moves, and purring at every point I show attention, pick her up or anything. She is proving to be very friendly and her skittishness she showed upon being introduced to a new environment is abating.
More important, she has won the approval of my mother and my sister. :) Which is always nice to have; my mother says she's a very pretty cat -- and that's no small praise from a artist/photographer!

Attachments

·
Administrator
7,758 Posts
djl4570 said:
....... Now, does Smudge approve of your mom and sister?
:rotflmao:

Too funny! You know if there's a room full of cat lovers with just one person in it that doesn't like cats, it's their lap the cat will choose to sit in.

·
Registered
8,499 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
djl4570 said:
Looks like she just woke up. Now, does Smudge approve of your mom and sister?
As of yet, she hasn't been introduced to them; I printed out a few photos to show them what she looked like. My mother absconded with one of them, of course. :)
I caught Smudge at a rare moment of stillness in the shot above. She hadn't been asleep -- she occasionally does that. Trying to take a photo of a kitten is a daunting task. They are always in a cute position when you don't have the camera and by the time you get the camera, the kitten is on the other side of the house.

SpecialEd said:
...... You know if there's a room full of cat lovers with just one person in it that doesn't like cats, it's their lap the cat will choose to sit in.
This seems invariably true ... unfortunatly, cats often react to humans who show interest in them rather defensively while people who don't like them will sit back and ignore them. Unfortunatly to a cat, if they are at all comfortable around humans, this makes them seem more approachable to the cat. Lying back to the feline population is a tacit "surrender" position even when young kittens "play." Thus a reclining human appears very unaggressive and approachable to a cat, when in fact the human may dislike cats.
Humans' and cats' "body language" just don't ... "synchronize" very well.

G

·
I assume you already have a laser pointer. I don't encourage kitty bowling until she has fully settled in but using the laser induce bat turns on a freshly waxed floor can be entertaining and gives the kitty lots of exercise. Search youtube for "kitten and roomba" There are several videos of kittens riding on top of a Roomba. The initial introduction to a roomba can be quite an adventure for the kitties.

·
Registered
8,499 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
:lol:
Smudge's predatory ambitions against laser dots has already been established .... although "kitty bowling" has not been tried. She might be a bit young for such an arduous task..... :wink: ................ :roll:

·
Administrator
7,758 Posts
Place one kitten and one ping pong ball in an empty bathtub. Stand back and enjoy the show. :D

·
Banned
3,882 Posts
SpecialEd et. al.,

the plastic "ring-top" off a gallon milk jug works even BETTER, in my experience. = even my 5+YY black DLH (Miss Avalon) likes to slap those around in the bathtub! = it's a HOOT to watch!

yours, sw

·
Registered
8,499 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
djl4570 said:
.... Now, does Smudge approve of your mom and sister?
Well, Smudge met my mother today, and I guess the approval is now mutual. My mother said Smudge is smaller than she expected. Well, Smudge is a kitten! I guess it's hard to really get an idea from photos. :mrgreen:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts