Gun Hub Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
"A pending earth-face interface and it's nearly infinite coefficient of friction"

A brief discussion of Armor units under air attack:

"Look! Up in the sky! Is it a bird? A plane?"
"Get your sorry tail down and don't move. Ain't nothing comes out of the sky except bad (stuff)" --Remark attributed to an unknown NCO during any wars after 1910. :eek:mg:

Geoff
Whose repertoire included a qualification as Battalion Small Arms Air Defense NCO.

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
When I attended AGOS (Air-Ground Operations School) back in the eighties, it was a joint school for Air Force FAC's and Army troops who would be coordinating with them for close air support. One day we were treated to a film on the (then) new A-10 and it's 30mm gun.

We watched scene after scene explaining how depleted uranium projectiles traveling at just under the speed of heat turn tank armor into molten metal, large burning chunks of which are then injected into the tank interior with the force of a rocket engine. We saw scenes of T-62's disintigrating with just a few hits, and scenes from the interior of tanks showing the after-effects. We saw turrets and hulls perforated like paper targets and burning wreckage that looked like something out of Dante's Inferno.

After the film was over, a timid hand arose from an Army troop near the back of the auditorium. When recognized, the man rose and directed a question at the Air Force pilots in attendance: "Uh...how much time do y'all spend on tank recognition?"

·
Registered
8,499 Posts
When I attended AGOS (Air-Ground Operations School) back in the eighties, it was a joint school for Air Force FAC's and Army troops who would be coordinating with them for close air support. One day we were treated to a film on the (then) new A-10 and it's 30mm gun.

We watched scene after scene explaining how depleted uranium projectiles traveling at just under the speed of heat turn tank armor into molten metal .....
Query: What is "the speed of heat?" I've heard of the speed of light, I think I've heard references to the speed of heat ....but I I dunno what it is....:confused::help::dunno::dunno::cluebat::duh::duh:

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
Sorry...its just a pilot euphemism for very, very fast. I suppose it's roughly synonymous with "speed of light" since infrared is just another band in the electromagnetic spectrum.

·
Registered
2,502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Flying at zero feet and 450 knots is not conducive to great object recognition.
Geoff
Who has long been an advocate of "Air Force in a box" tactical support. A trailer full of pop up missiles with various war heads, directed by the ground pounders at point targets. Cross reference FOG-M.

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
And thus was born the FAC.
A fellow pilot on the ground who speaks a shared language, so as to hopefully encourage the triggerhappy maniacs of the Pointy Nose Club not to frag a "brother aviator."

:p

1 - 7 of 7 Posts