Gun Hub Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know the conventional wisdom is to keep hands off the barrel-end of a firearm and never point a firearm at anything you are not willing to destroy. Frankly I am not enthusiastic about the way Al Pacino press-check his Colt Officer (stuck his finger too far in the trigger-guard).

But I thought De Niro's method (here is a YouTube clip of it) is not too dangerous for a SIG P220 or regular Double-Action pistols. SIG P-series has 4 point safety system and the hammer was fully de-cocked when De Niro check it. If I am not mistaken, as long as the finger does not come in contact with trigger, the gun would not discharge, especially with the chamber open. And when the slide is released, with the trigger fully forward in DA mode it will take more than a little bump from the thumb to trigger a weapon discharge. Plus I thought this method brings the weapon closer and in a parallel orientation to the shooter's body, with the chamber closed to the shooter's eyes with along with relative solid control on the slide and where the barrel is pointed, something I do not find with most other methods of chamber-check, except when I grasp the pistol by the rear and anchor my thumb under the beavertail to force the chamber open (though the barrel have a tendency to point skyward when I try to get a good look of the chamber). I have not tried pinch-check because my fingers are not strong enough and most pistols today have full-length guide rods.

Although one issue I might have is the way the hand grasp the front-end of the slide, I do not know if this would push the front sight out-of-alignment.

I appreciate any expert opinions/inputs in this matter,

Thanks,

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
That isn't bad but not too good either.

Only thing that really gets me is when some guy is spraying 600+ rounds out of an UZI or something else that looks bad and can't hit the good guy running at him or hiding behing an empty 55 gallon drum.
Of course the good guy gets him with one or two well placed shots from a never-run-out-of-ammo pistol or revolver. Even if he has to reload another magazine he is always carrying an endless supply of them.

Yea sure...... :roll:

·
Registered
814 Posts
Having worked a few gigs, and coached a few people, you have to keep one thing firmly in mind: the whole effort is to produce something that looks good.

So, from the angle the DP selected, in the elevator, what DeNiro did looks fast, efficient, manly and lethal. That is what mattered.

Being it was a Mann production, it was not unsafe, something he stresses.

But, as the man said; it's a movie.

·
Super Moderator
13,173 Posts
ExSarge said:
That isn't bad but not too good either.
Agreed. Prolly no worse, or not much worse, than any other method that would utilize forward grippy-grooves. :evil:

Saw a new TV groaner the other night. Woman took a shot at her husband with a revolver, followed by the now-obligatory sound of brass hitting concrete. :roll:

·
Registered
814 Posts
Don't get me started on sound effects and stupid gun-wrangling errors on TV and in movies.

Have you noticed that despite digital cameras having taken over the world, when someone uses a camera on TV, you hear the motor drive advance the film?

·
Super Moderator
13,173 Posts
Patrick Sweeney said:
Have you noticed that despite digital cameras having taken over the world, when someone uses a camera on TV, you hear the motor drive advance the film?
Yes I have. And when someone looks through binoculars, they see a picture in a sideways 8. Do you see that when you look through binoculars? I don't.

I've also noticed that all handguns sound like Colt SAAs when they're cocked. Even Glocks. How you "cock" a Glock, I have NO idea. :roll:

·
Registered
8,499 Posts
Snake45 said:
How you "cock" a Glock, I have NO idea. :roll:
I retract the slide on my G-19 and let it snap home. :neer:

Sorry, I know what you mean Snake ... I just couldn't resist the urge to be a wiseacre. :wink:

I'll be good now. :ek: :wink:

·
Registered
2,168 Posts
Snake45 said:
I've also noticed that all handguns sound like Colt SAAs when they're cocked. Even Glocks. How you "cock" a Glock, I have NO idea. :roll:
I always thought that was the safety being snapped off... :ek:
On a Glock, I suppose that could be the "trigger safety" coming off as the user takes up slack... :shocked:

·
Registered
291 Posts
The best, (or worst) depending on your point of view are the westerns where the hero draws and cocks his single action...and then just drops, not lowers, the hammer on a live round!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts