Gun Hub Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering what would be the tightest choke it would be safe to shoot buckshot through. Also, what about screw-in choke tubes and barrel lengths?

I know not to shoot Foster and pumkinball slugs in a regular shotgun barrel- I've seen Fosters leave a ring of lead scuffmarks about halfway down the bore.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I think that buck shot would be safe with any choke. I have a Remmington 870 that I'm going to have done with the Scatter Gun parts and I was thinking about having a modified choke tube installed to tighten the patterns. I have seen slugs shot out of full choked shotguns with no adverse aftects.

·
Registered
4,812 Posts
I know people who have put 00 buck through full choke guns with no damage to the gun. A couple of the guns are pretty old, too. What I've always read was: tighter chokes cause excessive deformation of the pellets as they sqeeze through the end of the barrel thus, opening up the pattern with lots of fliers.

I haven't experimented with this but it sounds reasonable. This may not be as true of modern, buffered, plated buckshot as it was of lead pellets. There are a number of "truths" people will tell you that haven't been true for generations (i.e., "You need a 32 inch bbl to hunt geese/ducks/pheasant because those 26 inchers don't have enough reach".). Modern ammo has changed many of the rules.

·
Registered
203 Posts
ive got an 870 with a remchoke 20" barrel and i shoot 00 buck all the time as well as rifled slugs with a full choke and it shoots just fine.....though i usually keep an improved cylinder tube in it

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
Biggest thing is to test your load and shotgun. I've witnessed some bizzare things with buckshot and shotguns regardless of what choke is indicated on the barrel.

FWIW, when Roger Small had Scatter Gun Tech in Nashville, he felt like Modified choke gave the tightest consistant results with 00 and larger, Full for #1 and smaller. IME, those selections are the way to bet, but I've seen cylinder bores do well and Full ckokes pattern horribly.

Ammo is a hugh factor as well - plated v. unplated, which shot cup is used, 2 3/4 v. 3 inch... The variations are endless.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Even the current Dixie Slugs Tri-Ball III buckshot round performs exceptionally well down to .675 exit diameter chokes. The Dixie Tri-Ball III is a 3.5" load that fires three .60 caliber 315 grain hardened lead balls at 1200 fps.

With an extended .695 exit diameter Briley choke tube my 870 Super Mag puts all three balls into 3 to 5 inch patterns at a measured 40 yards. The best part is these loads impact just 2 inches above my point of aim with just the bead and vent rib for a sight system!

For reference: 00 buckshot pellets as currently loaded by Federal have a diameter of .325 and weighs just 52 grains.

·
Registered
2,548 Posts
mustanger98 said:
I know not to shoot Foster and pumkinball slugs in a regular shotgun barrel- I've seen Fosters leave a ring of lead scuffmarks about halfway down the bore.
Just what do you think folks have been shooting those things through for centuries?????? 'Tain't gonna hurt nothing.

Barrel length doesn't matter, choke of the barrel does. Modified & improved modified will generally give you your best patterns. BUT, as several have said, every barrel is a rule unto itself. Try different stuff to see what works best.

·
Registered
3,023 Posts
I've seen some real tight buckshot groups at astonishing ranges (for buckshot) and I've seen some real crappy patterns at close ranges. even from longer barrels, using different chokes, and brands of shells.

·
Registered
36 Posts
You aint seen nothin' yet!

Cap'n Dex said:
I've seen some real tight buckshot groups at astonishing ranges (for buckshot) and I've seen some real crappy patterns at close ranges. even from longer barrels, using different chokes, and brands of shells.
The Tri-Ball from Dixie Slugs is legally buckshot but the comparison ends there. Those 315 hard cast .60 caliber move out at 1050 to 1150 fps depending on the length (3" or 3.5"). These strike harder than most .44 Magnum rounds at the range you describe and cut a larger hole.

Patterns are in the 3" to 6" at 40yards with .690 to .675 exit diameter extended chokes in Remington barrels. My favorite, is a Briley .695 extended tube in my 870 Express Supermag.

For a detailed look at penetration and patterning take a look at the Dixie Slugs website, click the forum and look for Ole' Dixie vs the Bone Box.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.