Gun Hub Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,499 Posts
If I am elected Governor, I will invite you to my first BBQ!

Geoff
Who suspects that is a VERY unlikely event. :mrgreen:

·
Registered
37 Posts
Charlie,

Nice looking 1911! Do you have other photographs of this particular gun? If so, post them. I would love to see the details of the parts fit, etc...

I am in the planning stage of building another 1911, this one a Caspian 4.25 inch Commander slide, possibly in damascus, on a stainless steel Caspian receiver. The plan is to do an Ed Brown bobtail conversion to the receiver, but shorten the bobtail housing and receiver a bit to make it essentially an Officers length in the grip area. Still considering various detailing aspects of what I want it to look like.

·
Premium Member
1,277 Posts
Sean,

Gemini Customs has Charlie's original article on the pistol posted on their website.

http://www.geminicustoms.com/Magazine/Articles.html

As for a bobtail OACP frame, Cylinder & Slide did something along those lines with their M2008 Pocket Hammerless. Except for the changes in exterior styling, it is essentially a Commander length slide on an OACP frame. In a conventional Government Model bobtail, the altered mainspring housing uses an OACP mainspring. To get the same effect in an OACP frame, I suspect that C&S used the short mainspring from their sub-compact Adventurer, which is likely the Wolff mainspring for the Para-Ordnance P10 and P12. In one of the photos in the "American Handgunner" article, you can see that they relocated the pin hole for the mainspring housing.

http://www.cylinder-slide.com/m2008artah.shtml

I'd forgo the shortening of a Brown bobtail mainspring housing, and recreate the effect by starting with a metal replacement mainspring housing for the Para-Ord P10/P12. Then you would need to silver-solder or weld an extension to the bottom to make up the extra length.

·
Premium Member
7,055 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Daniel... I talked to Marc and sent him the picture and he was impressed. What a nice guy...

Sean I am a fan of the bobtail mods and suggest you look at Kimber's before doing anything. I positively detest officers size frames as a solution to a problem we don't have. The bobtail really takes care of the sharp edges that might print but still leaves a comfortable grip.

I do, however, love the commander length. I've got a Brown Kobra bobtail as the main carry gun now and before it used a lightweight commander

Putting a lot of pictures on the forum takes up a lot of bandwidth and is a total pita for me. If you want to you can pm me your email and I'll send you some.

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
God, that's just gorgeous, Charlie. I have handled one of his SP101 versions as stated in a previous post. His work appears flawless.

·
Registered
3,940 Posts
That's just drop dead gorgeous.

Now I'll have to get over being afraid to shoot it... again... :)

·
Premium Member
7,055 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'm working on that too and while I know I CAN shoot it I'm not sure I should. The good news is that it is a simple matter to put the original grips back on. Besides I have Prairie Dogs I & II that are every bit as accurate and quite plain...

·
Registered
5,678 Posts
Charlie Petty said:
I do, however, love the commander length. I've got a Brown Kobra bobtail as the main carry gun now and before it used a lightweight commander
You know Charile, you're a man after my own heart. I sure hope before either one of us cashes in our chips, I get the opportunity to share a cold one and maybe put a round or two downrange together.

We came close to sharing a cold one in 2005 (I think). You and I were at the bar at SHOT, but you were on one side talking to some guys and I was on the other side talking to the editor we shared at that time. I was a bit shy* and didn't want to just belly up and introduce myself; kinda wish I did now.

*Edit - can you believe I said that with a straight face...I don't think anyone believes I've ever been shy about anything...But that's my story and I'm stickin to it :wink:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts