Gun Hub Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone else here own an NEF or H&R rifle? I have an H&R Ultra Varmint rifle in .223 Remington that is one fun gun! Paid less than $200 for it and put a Simmons 4X12 scope on it. With the right handloads, and if I do my part at the bench with my old, tired eyes, it can consistently group between 7/8" to 1 1/8" at 100 yards. A lot of fun for little money! :D

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
Fred, I don't own one, but you aren't the only one I've heard singing the praises of the NEF. From what I hear, they're not just a bargain, they're a steal. As for H&R, I would think they are comparable.
My first gun was an H&R folding Topper in 410 ga. It was also my Dad's first gun, and it was a gem. I sure wish I still had that today, but I let it get away when I was young and foolish. They don't call youth "callow" for nothing. ;)

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply, Richard

yes, I also think the NEF and H&R single-shots are a steal. As mentioned already, I have the H&R version, while a friend has the NEF Handi-Rifle version. Both are more accurate then they should be for the price. Other than a fairly heavy trigger, I have nothing to complain about. In fact, if the trigger was lighter and smoother, I believe my H&R would be capable of VERY tight groups. :)

·
Registered
42 Posts
My H&R rifles were a M700 .22 mag autoloader (fun gun, but not exactly cheap to shoot!), and a Huntsman in 58 cal. The Huntsman was picked up from a yard sale for $35.00 and would put 5 patched round balls into 2" at 50 yards with iron sights and up to 140 grains FF or RS. The M700 was a tackdriver, but had a horrendous trigger.

·
Registered
11 Posts
My wife bought me a used H&R in .22 Hornet for Christmas a couple of years ago, it's a hoot to shoot.
Still searching for the 'perfect' load for it but that's part of the fun.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Rifles

Sisco: I have a Browning 1885 in Hornet. I am loading the Hornady 35 gr. V-Max bullet over W-296. I am above Max with my load, but the Browning is a strong action and I have seen no signs of excessive pressures. I am getting 3100 FPS with a 5/8" group at 100 yds. VERY EFFECTIVE on groundhogs out to 185 yds. Start with Hornady's suggested initial load and work up to your most accurate load. Good Shooting! :wink:

·
Registered
29 Posts
Im considering the Survivor configuration in .308 win....but then if i get another firearm in the next few months my wife might not let me survive! :D

·
Registered
55 Posts
One thing I've picked up from the last four years of reading posts at TFL is how persnickety a lot of .22 rifles are about the ammo you feed them. This leads me to believe that one could buy an older rifle in decent shape for not much money, and then after a good bit of ammo testing find The Right Stuff.

Seems to me you could wind up with more rifle for the money...

Art

·
Registered
6 Posts
I dont' own a NEF or H&R rifle.
The ones I have shot in 30-30 and 45-70 were great!
[ yeah the second one was a bit more "thumpy" than the first one mentioned *grin*]

I have a LOT of experience with these as shotguns...a lot of shotgun for the money.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts