Gunhub.com banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3,023 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok, I am trying to amass a collection of US weapons used in WW2. I'm not trying to get a BAR, simply because I really don't need anything like that...and $3000 is a lot to shell out for a gun which is butt-ugly. haha. but I think my next mark will be the norinco trench gun. 1) the price is right, 2) originals are hard to find, 3) I like shotguns. anyway, if anyone owns one, maybe you can clear a few things up for me.
1) how many shells does it hold. I've heard 8, and 6
2) is it fairly durable? (I will use it, but probably not a whole lot, and when I do, probably just wal-mart bulk ammo ie, "multi-purpose") well, that's all, I think. thanks!

·
Registered
3,404 Posts
Picked one up a while back, but I haven't had a chance to use it a lot. Here are my observations:
1) 5 in the mag, one in the pipe.
2) You need to clean it well first. They come fairly oiled up, and it caused me a little problem. I took it out, ran 15 shells through it, and it seemed to feed a little funny on the last shell. I took a look and the heat sheild had walked forward :eek: . So I tightened it, and started shooting again, and it did the same thing. It turns out, the oil they used was really slippery, and they applied it under the heat sheild, including where it locks down :evil: . So I stripped it down, wiped it off real good, and reassembled it. Just to be sure all was well, i ran another 30 shells thru it. No problems.
3) It fed well, even after I got her hot.
4) Stripping the heat sheild off was simple.
5) It seems pretty rugged.'
6) As for function, I would guess it functions as well as the originals. It functions as well as any of my other shotguns.
7) Its handy to carry and handels well.
8) I ran birdshot thru it, and it did fine, grouping pretty well. I'll use buckshot next time.
9) I trust it enought that i am going to use it as my boar gun.
10) With the bayonet attatched, it is a scary looking peice of hardware.

Despite the little oil problem, I am much happier with the gun than I expected to be (and I didn't buy it thinking I would be unhappy with it :wink: ). I'm pleased with it. The heatsheild problem really wasn't a big deal, and it was easily remedied. If its something you are interested in, I think you should get it.
Hope this helped.

·
Registered
158 Posts
i heard that after bout 3000 rounds or so they start seizeing up..this is y i have an oringinal 1897 winchest converted to trench gun figuration serial#204xx......just my input..but look for an oringinal if u can aford one

·
Registered
3,023 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
VERY helpful, cowboy. I definately will pick one up. maybe next month, or september, or something, because my POS vehicle is in the shop, yet again. if I had the money to buy an original, I'b buy a new car! hahaha

·
Registered
163 Posts
I bought one and am very happy I did! Yes - tighten down that heat sheild.
Mine flew right off the gun during skeet doubles.

I also found out - mine came through with 20/1000ths choke - MODIFIED
choke in an 18" bbl! It was tight for skeet but I shot two rounds of trap
with it and broke a 23/25 and a 24/25 with it. Many targets were SMOKED with it, not just chipped.

It's a good gun. I almost can't believe it's not an original. Right down to
a 2-3/4" chamber. You'd think that they'd make it a 3" chamber! (maybe the receiver spec couldn't be done that way?)

·
Registered
3,023 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
awesome...all I have to do now, is just wait for my crappy car to be out of the shop, and then put a couple of paychecks away. I"m hoping before deer season this yr. does it have a trigger...I forget the word..I think it starts with a D...crap. the thing that makes it so you can hold in the triger, and keep pumping, and waste all of your ammo, but look cool as you do it? disconnecter? is that the word? thanks!

-Dex

·
Registered
3,404 Posts
No disconnector. Hold the trigger down and it'll fire as fast as you work the pump. Its pretty cool.
So you know, the action wants to slide when the hammer is down, so keep it on half-cock (I don't think its dangerous so much as it just makes it feel sorta fragile). Also, it took me a minute to figure this out, there is a small button just above the trigger on the right side, its the action release. Stripping it down to clean off the oil isn't tough, but it takes a minute to figure out. Luckily I had a book that showed it. If you have any problems on that, just PM me.
I really hesitated in getting one. I'm glad I did. Its more a ford truck than a cadillac, but it seems like a good ford.
Good luck,
Cowboy

1 - 7 of 7 Posts