Gun Hub Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
2,134 Posts
ATF incompetence and trigger-happiness have already killed more people than airsoft ever will, I daresay.

Remember, this is the bunch that just declared Chore Boy scrubbing pads "illegal silencers" and would gladly rule shoestrings "illegal machineguns" if they get the chance?

If some budget-hawk wants to show us they're serious, they couldn't do much better for a start than by defunding ATF's enforcement arm and transferring the responsibility and personnel slots (but NOT the current personnel) to the Marshals Service. Sorry, I know I'm gonna piss some of our friends who are current or retired Feds off here, but why do we need 80+ armed civilian agencies, why can't we consolidate things and reduce some of them to technical-support?

· Registered
2,274 Posts
BATF should be taken off of guns. They go for the headlines, because their original duties of busting moonshiners and stopping cigarette smugglers don't really get a lot of publicity. (The tobacco probably should, as that still goes on and word is a lot of foreign groups are involved in it now.)

I would name them "BATEC" and give them Cannabis duty while taking away the firearms oversight element. That would give them plenty of headlines and keep them away from the gun stuff.

Firearm stuff as it is, tax stamps and registration of NFA guns, I would give to the Secret Service.

· Banned
3,647 Posts
To ALL,

IF I had my way, ALL federal LE agencies except the USMS & USPSI would be abolished & replaced with nothing. - Then all the QUALITY LEO could be "folded into": those TWO agencies & the rest just plain FIRED.
(The USMS & the Postal Inspectors are mentioned IN The Constitution & cannot be abolished, absent a Constitutional Amendment.)

Fwiw, it makes ZERO difference which badge/creds that a LEO carries & we need 70+ LE agencies like we all need cancer.

just my OPINION, sw

· Registered
2,134 Posts
Agreed, SW... in my scenario, the FBI would be reduced to just investigation and information management, maybe an advisory and training role.

I'd keep CID, OSI, NCIS and CGIS for military matters, but civilian law... everybody except the Border Patrol and maybe park rangers gets their teeth from either the Marshals or partnering with Local LE.

· Banned
3,647 Posts
Diamondback,

We COULD copy the Canadians & even make FBI, DEA, OSI,CID, CGIS, NCIS, BP, etc. a part of the USMS, except in wartime, as the situation with the Canadian military LEO/RCMP is.
During wartime, even the FBI could receive military status, IF their personnel were needed.

As I said, it makes NO difference whatever which badge that a LEO carries.

yours, satx

· Registered
2,134 Posts
Good point,SW--my thinking was part to eradicate some of the access to weaponry of the worst Culture Of Corruption outside the Crapitol Dome, part to cut the fat of bureaucracy.

Kind of like my question on the military side about do we really need NINE HUNDRED generals and admirals, no less than FORTY of whom each have an individual $40 million Gulfstream jet assigned to them and kept on standby alert for the slightest wild hair lodged in the assignee's rectum? But that's another topic, for another thread and another time...

· Banned
3,647 Posts
Diamondback,

My primary motivation is to STARVE THE BEAST by ending needless duplication & streamline operations. - For example, why do we NEED 70+ independent administrative offices that ALL do the SAME thing? = Couldn't ONE finance office "cut" every LEO's check each month? Couldn't ONE large HR office do ALL of the necessary personnel actions?

ONE large personnel & administrative office could service EVERY federal police office/peace officer & save a great deal of taxpayer's $$$$$$, without doing anything else.

Further, having only TWO federal LE agencies would free money to do more actual & USEFUL law enforcement tasks, IF we weren't needlessly spending money on waste/fraud/abuse of the taxpayers, by having so many useless bureaucrats on the payroll.

As for your other comment on Generals/Admirals (and Senior Colonels, in the grade of 06, for that matter), I wonder how many of those "slots" could be converted to USAR/USNR/USMCR/ANG/ARNG, without doing violence to the military readiness mission. - Obviously, it's far cheaper to pay a qualified officer 62 days a year versus 365, not to speak of other savings like the aircraft that you mentioned.

yours, sw

· Banned
3,647 Posts
To All,

Btw, we should ABOLISH the "name" US Secret Service, as in NUMOROUS friendly nations "Secret Service" equals SECRET POLICE (Or worse for the US "image" abroad: SPIES!) & in those nations the USSS cannot carry firearms.
(When the POTUS/VPOTUS travel to those nations, we issue the Secret Service agents Deputy US Marshal's badges/credentials. - Perhaps because of the positive "Marshal Dillon image" of the USMS, the Marshals seem to be WELCOMED/RESPECTED everywhere OCONUS.)

yours, sw

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.