Gun Hub Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i recall reading somewhere about a weight requirement from batf for the modified rifles to be considered pistols. if that is true, what is the required weight? how best to research this?

·
Premium Member
7,055 Posts
Right you are Top. If it has ever been a rifle that's it.

All the ammo factories use some form of accuracy test setup that involves a rifle action so I politely inquired of ATF if there was some way to do that without violating. The- equally polite -answer was not only no, but hell no. If I was willing to buy new actions I could have all the test setups I wanted but I better not even think about one of those $25 Mauser actions.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks, but here is a conflict that prompted this topic. the state of hawaii says that if it is over 50oz's it is an outlawed assault pistol. i am sure that there are places out there (CA!) that ban certain weapons, but what does the gov say? having read your replies i am still curious if "assault pistols" are a batf item, and if not then does the reference to rifle actions imply that i cannot use 80% unfinished receivers? did the discontinued MARS ak pistol meet the atf criteria or is the guideline relatively new?

·
Registered
973 Posts
This may be the federal law you are thinking about, 18 US Code Section 921:

(30) The term ''semiautomatic assault weapon'' means -.....

(C)a semiautomatic pistol that has an ability to accept a detachable magazine and has at least 2 of -

(i) an ammunition magazine that attaches to the pistol outside of the pistol grip;

(ii) a threaded barrel capable of accepting a barrel extender, flash suppressor, forward handgrip, or silencer;

(iii) a shroud that is attached to, or partially or completely encircles, the barrel and that permits the shooter to hold the firearm with the nontrigger hand without being burned;

(iv) a manufactured weight of 50 ounces or more when the pistol is unloaded; and

(v) a semiautomatic version of an automatic firearm;

·
Registered
10,807 Posts
Maverick, you've just changed tracks. Maybe not intentionally, but you have.

Both in federal and several state laws there are handguns that are classed as assault weapons. Both California and Hawaii (Massachusets?) ban them without regard to pre-ban status. Mars and B-West got nailed because they failed to do the paperwork before they started turning sheet metal into recievers. The Gun Zone has an article on it at http://www.thegunzone.com/bwest.html which you might find interesting.

Us Code Title 18, Section 921(i)
an ammunition magazine that attaches to the pistol outside of the pistol grip
has caused more than a few problems with high end Olympic class pistols with the magazine in front of the trigger guard.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts