Gun Hub Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3,940 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Howdy - was just informed by a fellow at the Scrounger that the 5mm ammo I ordered a couple of years ago ain't gonna happen. Reckon Lake City is pretty busy these days. I'm aware that this is obsolete stuff, but if anyone knows of some stashed somewhere, I'd be obliged.

·
Premium Member
7,055 Posts
Are you talking about 5mm rimfire? I don't think Lake City had anything to do with that... ever.

But there is a long running rumor that somebody would run off a bunch much as Winchester did with the 22WRF not long ago. With original ammo going for $50 or more per box I think it would be a no-brainer to run off a few million rounds and sell them for $25.

·
Registered
3,940 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What I was told by the guy at OWS, and I've lost track of the specifics since I placed the order 2 years ago, was that a one time run was being done. In later follow-up communications he mentioned Lake City. Maybe the outfit that was to be doing the 5mm is now taking up LC's slack due to the ongoing military action. Sometimes, I misremember...

·
Premium Member
7,055 Posts
It is true that Lake City can not keep up with the orders for 5.56 and that two supplemental contracts have been issued for a gazillion more rounds but that shouldn't have squat to do with 5mm.

The reason: they are made on two entirely different types of equipment and the stuff used for rimfire is not the same as centerfire. One of the most closely guarded secrets in the ammo business is manufacturing capacity but IMO there is still plenty of capacity somewhere to make 5mm if somebody really wanted to. At one time it was rumored that CCI was going to do it but they are so busy making 17HMR and now 17 Mach2 that they may not be able to but there is rimfire manufacturing all over the world and if somebody would pay up front for a few million rounds, plus the cost of tooling, I guarantee that it would be made. The bottom line problem is that they probably would have a hard time selling it after the initial demand is met, so it probably isn't profitable enough for somebody to tie up that much money.

If everyone who had one of the guns bought a couple of bricks that probably wouldn't buy one day's production at a modern rimfire plant.

Of course that's just my opinion and I could be wrong... :sm_angel:

·
Registered
3,940 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I expect that the OWS guys was covering his derriere and that your analysis is accurate. Follow the money... or lack of it. I reckon I'll have to find Sam some $ 50 boxes of ammo.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts