Gun Hub Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sadly, there seems to have been an accident at a US ammunition factory:

Blast on site of explosives plants kills 1

Not sure what part of the compound had the blast, explosives as well as ammunition were apparently made there. It says something about industry safety that this stuff is so rare these days. Still, sad this happened.

·
Premium Member
7,055 Posts
That must be the old Accurate Powder site.

I've heard of Rio, but don't know anything else. The most common cause for KB's like that is primer manufacture or it would have taken a whole bunch of powder.

·
Registered
3,940 Posts
I had a summer job replacing roofs at a Hercules plant in SW VA. Nitroglycerin was made there among other things and "incidents" occurred a couple of times a year.

I was carrying a bundle of drip edge up a ladder to the roof of a hanger that had been retasked to office space when a gust of wind caught my load. I didn't lose it (or fall) but it got spun into one of the large windows that overlooked the cubicles below.

I had a bird's eye view as close to a hundred people dove under their desks beneath me.

Last day on that particular job; a career in furniture relocation began shortly thereafter.

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
When I First Heard...

That must be the old Accurate Powder site.

I've heard of Rio, but don't know anything else. The most common cause for KB's like that is primer manufacture or it would have taken a whole bunch of powder.
...heard the report on the radio, they said it was Accurate Energetics.

At this point, it appears that the affected part of the complex was the shotshell production.

Accurate Powder appears to have moved to Montana.

I don't think I'm ready for a tinfoil hat yet but i can't help noting that it's barely been over a month since the explosion at the PB Clermont powder plant in Belgium.

·
Premium Member
7,055 Posts
Actually Ramshot Powder bought Accurate couple of years ago Their location is Miles City, MT.

They don't make powder there but distribute powders made for them by other vendors.

Any time is hear "energetics" I think of explosives but have no idea if they are doing anything other than loading shotshells.

·
Registered
2,116 Posts
LOL, CP, but so does an average chili cook-off... :p

·
Registered
2,543 Posts
Long time back I had a buddy at Aberdeen Proving Grounds. He once told me that Picatinny Arsenal (near Philly-it's an industrial park now I believe) used to kill roughly a person a month in primer manufacture. The version I heard seemed to indicate that they weren't as tidy as they could have been and entire sheets of 6000 primers used to occasionally go up.

That seemed absurd to me, but since then I've seen how scrupulously certain government entities follow regulations that inconveniece them.:eek:mg: Admittedly, there are those who decide (just this once) to take a shortcut. I can recall injuries where certain machines needed both hands on safety switches before a foot pedal could activate the machine.

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
Without Doing Another Search for Specifics...

Actually Ramshot Powder bought Accurate couple of years ago Their location is Miles City, MT.

They don't make powder there but distribute powders made for them by other vendors.

Any time is hear "energetics" I think of explosives but have no idea if they are doing anything other than loading shotshells.
...I read that the McEwen site contains several different operations (under different brand names), including one that makes military and industrial explosives. However, the explosion was subsequently reported to have taken place on the shotshell production line.

·
Premium Member
7,055 Posts
I'm not sure but suspect that was reporter ignorance.

I've been in all the major ammo plants and the one thing they wouldn't let me see was where the primer mix is made because it is far away from everything else. The synthesis of lead styphnate is the dangerous part.

Just guessing, but shotgun shells are not exactly "energetic."

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
Garbled over Time..

I'm not sure but suspect that was reporter ignorance.

I've been in all the major ammo plants and the one thing they wouldn't let me see was where the primer mix is made because it is far away from everything else. The synthesis of lead styphnate is the dangerous part.

Just guessing, but shotgun shells are not exactly "energetic."
..."Accurate Energetics" was mentioned in the first report that I noted, over broadcast radio, on the afternoon that the explosion occurred. Subsequent reports online specified that it had occurred in the Rio ammunition plant. I'm having trouble locating it but one report referred to an alphabet-soup outfit that seemed to be the parent company for the various entities based at the McEwen site.

I am continually frustrated by the product of the last few generations of graduates of America's schools of journalism but, in this case, I think it was just a matter that there was a delay in determining which of the plants had suffered the the explosion.

·
Registered
3,940 Posts
When the plant I mentioned earlier had an incident, it was usually in one of the buildings where they made nitroglycerine.

No metal of any kind was permitted to be worn by any of the operators working within for obvious reasons.

One such incident was determined to have resulted from violating that rule.

A portion of a wristwatch was found embedded in a bit of the structure that survived.

·
Premium Member
7,055 Posts
Walt has a very good point and the case of many plant mishaps is in the synthesis of nitroglycerine. That involves mixing two strong acids and it is usually done in an ice bath.

Things tend to go south is the temp. gets above 75f

If my plant had blown up I'd probably name the most benign product too.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts