Gun Hub Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
814 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone here know a source (or have a book) on ammo lot dates?

I have a box of Frankford Arsenal ammo, one of the old 20-round boxes. Label says;

For Automatic pistol, Cal .45 M 1911
Powder, Pistol, No. 5, Army Lot 99 Cartridge Lot No. 372

Frankford Arsenal
B 503

Now, I know the B 503 is the drawing number, and the color of the label and the font of the printing all indicate well before WWII. the box is sealed, no tape, no glue, it hasn't been screwed with, and I'm loathe to peel it open just to peek at the headstamp.

Anyone know when Lot No. 372 was assembled/

·
Super Moderator
13,173 Posts
Anytime I've had a question of this sort, I've just googled it, sometimes several different ways, and I almost always find an answer. Often it's in a thread on a forum like this one. Kind of amazing what information is available.

·
Premium Member
7,055 Posts
To the best of my knowledge without a key to the FA lot numbers- which I've never seen- you can't tell.

For the 20 round boxes the color of the label is hint. WWI vintage stuff is pale pink wich gets darker and then in the 30s the label became red. I'm pretty sure that by the start of WWII they used 50 round boxes with the label printed on the box

·
Registered
814 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Woo-hoo, this is a faded pink label. Exactly what I needed.

Thanks.

Oh, and as an aside, I have an ammo can full of WWI-headstamped .45 Ball ammo. Some of the rounds have the powder clumped together, and if you shake one it will sound like a little brass castanet. Every now and then I shoot a magazine or two if it, and none have ever failed to go off. (Yes, corrosive, I scrub afterwards.)

·
Registered
2,168 Posts
Patrick Sweeney said:
Woo-hoo, this is a faded pink label. Exactly what I needed.

Thanks.

Oh, and as an aside, I have an ammo can full of WWI-headstamped .45 Ball ammo. Some of the rounds have the powder clumped together, and if you shake one it will sound like a little brass castanet. Every now and then I shoot a magazine or two if it, and none have ever failed to go off. (Yes, corrosive, I scrub afterwards.)
How'd it chrony?

·
Registered
814 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'll have to do that next time. I suspect it will be just fine, as none of the previous shots have seemed at all out of the ordinary.

Reminds me of the stories of the troubles on Guadalcanal a few years ago. the locals were being pushed around by immigrants, and when push came to shove the immigrants showed up with AKs, ARs, etc. the locals put a stop to that with Garands, BARs, Thompsons, etc.

"But, but those are old guns!" a newscaster remarked. "Yes, but made in America" was the reply.

There were a lot of good things made 'way back when.

·
Registered
5,714 Posts
Man, the oldest I've got is a bunch of 48 round green boxes of FA42 and DEN43. They were originally in a green Greek Spamcan.

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
Patrick Sweeney said:
I'll have to do that next time. I suspect it will be just fine, as none of the previous shots have seemed at all out of the ordinary.

Reminds me of the stories of the troubles on Guadalcanal a few years ago. the locals were being pushed around by immigrants, and when push came to shove the immigrants showed up with AKs, ARs, etc. the locals put a stop to that with Garands, BARs, Thompsons, etc.

"But, but those are old guns!" a newscaster remarked. "Yes, but made in America" was the reply.

There were a lot of good things made 'way back when.
Damn Right!

An old deputy who was a history buff followed the first Gulf War very closely, and swore this was a true story; I make no such claim. :wink:

A CNN reporter was interviewing one of their "military advisors", showing backdrops of Saddam's Republican Guard getting pounded by B-52's doing what they do best - saturation bombing. The reporter asked the expert if such bombing would have any effect on the "elite" Republican Guard. The expert replied, "What you're seeing here is a perfect example of massive firepower. America INVENTED massive firepower. Nobody does it better. And no one can stand up to it, properly applied."

If it didn't happen, it SHOULD have. :thumbsup:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts