Gun Hub Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey y'all I was at the range today and I ran across a curiosity, maybe someone can give me a clue?
What I found were several .223 cases that were part brass and part plastic. They reminded me of a shotgun shell. The case head has the words ".223, REM, PCA (Plastic Case Ammunition???)". The brass portion is maybe 1/4 inch and the rest is a smooth gray plastic material there is a number on the plastic too, the one I'm looking at now has a 1 in a circle.
Anybody have any ideas?
Thanks in advance.
Later

G

·
Aaaa yes, those plastic 223. We have a guy that comes in to shoot that uses these almost exclusively. He says he hasn't had any problem with feeding/function with them.

Anybody have any ideas?
Idea #1 Ya see shortly after Glock pistols were accepted by a military organization Gaston wanted to get into producing rifles. They made a few prototype rifles chambered in 5.56/223 for agencies to look at. He wanted his guns to be extra special so he developed the polymer cased ammo that you found. Both the rifle and ammo were not well received (as neither were "Perfect") and he tried to sell the rights to the ammo, first to Matel, and then to others... finally PCA picked it up.

Idea #2 This is yet another attempt by OPEC to take control of the world. Their plan is to have everything made of plastic (which uses oil to produce) thereby increasing their wealth.

Idea #3 Must be a bitch to reload. But on the plus side if you want to make a wildcat cartridge all you need is a butane lighter and some model glue.

·
Premium Member
6,935 Posts
Glen Wertle said:
The case head has the words ".223, REM, PCA (Plastic Case Ammunition???)". The brass portion is maybe 1/4 inch and the rest is a smooth gray plastic material there is a number on the plastic too, the one I'm looking at now has a 1 in a circle.
Anybody have any ideas?
Close… it's "polymer-cased ammunition" manufactured by NATEC in upstate Noo Yawk.

·
Banned
3,118 Posts
Glen,

Think of the NATEC PCA .223 as sort of a "CCI Blazer" ammo for an AR15 --- By this I mean that it is non-reloadable and in exchange for that, it is cheaper to buy then regular reloadable ammo. I am selling the NATEC for just slightly more than what the Federal American Eagle COSTS me wholesale!

Another positive for the PCA ammo is the weight if you are going into the field carrying a large amount of ammo --- it weighs considerably less than regular ammo --- specifically the NATEC weighed 7.1oz on our postal scale (in box with packing) --- a box of NATO "INI 'Fabrica de Palencia' " ammo weighed in at 9.6oz (it has no packing in the box). I know this does not sound like much difference in weight, but a case of 500 rounds weighs 57.5oz less (3.59 pounds).

Mike

1 - 4 of 4 Posts