Gunhub.com banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Howdy all. Again, new to the M1A world so please be gentle.

I was given a Nimrod 6x40 scope to go with my new SA 9222 M1A. I read somewhere that this scope was designed with 168 grain ammo in mind. Well, what I can find of that ammo is downright expensive. I've found some 165 gr ammo, but mostly what I can find is either 150 or 180 grain.

Will using the 150 or 180 gr ammo make that much of a difference up to 200 yards? If so, which bullet weight would you recommend?

I'm not a frequent rifle shooter (pistols are my bag) so what I'd like to do is pick one bullet weight, sight in the rifle and stick with that one weight.

Any help and/or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Mike

·
Registered
15 Posts
Well the 168gr ammo it is calibrated for is likely something like federal gold medal match ~$1 per round.

That being said if you zero at 100, at 200 almost any of those rounds drops will be in the ~2 inch range so there won't be much variability. In fact the POI will be minimal (2-3") between different ammo out to 300 yards or so. I really depends on what you want to do with the rifle. If it is precision shooting, then you gotta pay to play. If you wanna plink and aren't too concerned with "real ultimate" accuracy, you are probably good to go with milsurp stuff which is much cheaper.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the fast reply.

Yeah, I figured out to 200 yards I was good to go with either 150 gr or 180 gr either way. I shoot at a range that has a 100 yard and 200 yard bay, and beyond that...well, I just can't see!! 200 yard plinking is about all I'd ever do with this thing. I don't hunt and don't go for the long distance accuracy thing, although I am well aware that in the hands of a skilled shooter the rifle is extremely capable of terrific accuracy. This is more of a collector's rifle for me. I have a line on some 180 gr 7.62x51 NATO milsurp for a good price that I will most probably jump on tomorrow.

If anyone else out there has additional thoughts on the subject, I'd love to hear them.

Thanks again for the reply.

Mike

·
Registered
15 Posts
No problem.

Though I doubt anything 180gr is milsurp. Usually thats a hunting weight bullet or perhaps a match bullet. Also 180gr bullets might be a bit heavy for an M14 so I'd think twice about that. I think most people agree that 175ish is about the heaviest you wanna put through the gun on a regular basis.
Also, Any milsurp should be around 147-150gr. As for fantastic accuracy, you need to do alot of work to an M14 to see it.

Just out of curiosity where did you get the nimrod? Did it come with the mount?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Howdy. The guy I purchased the ammo from said that it's milsurp that he bought a ton of. I think I believe what you're saying, however, cause it's soft point and I think everything military uses is ball. I don't plan on shooting this thing a lot anyway (maybe 200 rounds a year, tops, if that) so I'm not really concerned about the additional stress on the weapon. I only ordered 200 rounds to start and will keep looking for a lighter bullet.

As for the scope, a friend gave it to me. He had purchased extra some time ago and knew I was going to buy an M1A so he gave it to me. The mount....different story. Very difficult to find. He called the company he purchased his mount from, and they still had a few in the back. Kinda dinged up and scratched (like I am!) but completely serviceable so he grabbed one for me and I paid him for that.

I'll keep everyone posted as to how the combo works.

Thanks again

Mike

·
Registered
2,157 Posts
you could always load the 165 grain bullet and be really close without getting into the heady realm of "match" bullets- and it's not too hard on your m1a either- the top end of the match m118slr( special long range) was a 175 gr sierra matchking at 2550, which is what i was shooting in my real 14 until i was advised differently-i don't know if the isrealis had special ammo for the nimrod equipped m14( no mention of it) but if they simply used the stuff they manufactured for their vesion of the fn, it was 150( actually 147)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
t-star said:
you could always load the 165 grain bullet
Uhh, well, thanks for the suggestion, but no, I couldn't. I don't reload. Don't have the equipment and even if I did I don't have the time. There is a reloading service here in DFW that I've used in the past, but lately I can't get them to return my calls.

If I ever get them to return my calls I hope to ask them about just this but in the meantime I have to go a different direction.

Thanks again.

Mike

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
Harlekwin,
All the above are correct. Stay away from the 180s/190s on M1A as it will wreck it in short order unless you have a special set up to bleed off the excess pressure. If you don't have this it will over drive your gas system and bolt will be banging hard on the back of your receiver. I have seen them broken off ! ! !

Insofar at time expended for reloading you should be able to load 50 rounds in 45 to 50 minutes even weighing every charge once you get set up and get a routine down pat. The benefits are smaller groups, money saved equals more shooting and figuring the best load for your rifle.

Read all the posts on M1, M14, Ammunition and Reloading and General Rifle for a start and you will get a handle on how things go.

Check out Black Hills Shooters Supply, they reload match quality ammo and it is not as expensive as Fed Match. I load all my gas gun stuff on LC brass so be on lookout for it.

Hummer

1 - 8 of 8 Posts