Gun Hub Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anaconda not on CA DOJ approved list

Thinking about buying an Anaconda and i see, or rather i dont see, the DOJ web site doesnt have it on the approved list.

you have got to be kidding me!

Just what is wrong with the Anaconda that would make it not approved. Someone please help me to understand why this gun is not approved.

Or is the Anaconda a secretly convertible compact sub machine gun in disguise as a freakin wheelgun.

How can this gun not be approved ?

USCG

·
Premium Member
9,290 Posts
The Anaconda is a limited production weapon. Colt may have simply decided not to spend the money to destroy two of them so that they could become "approved" for sale in the PRK. They don't have any sort of built-in safety, either. :D

·
Registered
364 Posts
It was on the list recently. Maybe Colt decided not to pay the maintenance fee to the Department of Extortion. We had sold one 1 1/2 ago.

Gil

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thx fo rthe explanation

I was considering getting an Anaconda, guess i am SOL.

Looking for a .44 so i will check out some others.

USCG

I thought for sure it was a MP5 using some sort of new cloaking technology, cant get a thing past the DOJ poopoo heads.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Why is the Anaconda not on the CA DOJ approved list?

The answer is "why not?"

When you are in the buisness of making the state safe (for criminals) you don't anything standing in your way.

Remember - just because they want your EBG (evil black gun - I say gun, not rifle because well...sproing? :wink: ) doesn't mean they aren't after your .30-30.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Max

I did consider the raging bull but i was really in looking to get the anaconda. A python was a good option too but i have made up my mind and the winner turns out to be a S&W 629 classic 44m/44sp.

Andy

·
Registered
973 Posts
glock armorer said:
It was on the list recently. Maybe Colt decided not to pay the maintenance fee to the Department of Extortion. We had sold one 1 1/2 ago.
Gil
Pardon the question, but I am not familar with the various California firearms laws. Are you saying that once a manufacturer has submitted a particular handgun that passes the state "test", there is also a periodic charge to keep it on the approved list?

·
Registered
364 Posts
Yup they have to pay the maintenance fee every year. :evil: Don't you just love CA ruling. (The state of Confusion).

Gil

·
Registered
973 Posts
That may just be the most useless regulation ever enacted. I cannot conceive of a rationale for the maintenance fee. It's not like the pistol is going to "go bad" if it's not paid.

Good luck out there.

·
Registered
527 Posts
the 629 is a good choice (is that the dirty harry model?)

the RB in 44 is really fun to shoot..nice grips compensated recoil

·
Registered
167 Posts
The 629 is the stainless steel version of the model 29 (dirty harry's), blued 44 magnum revolver. All Smith & Wesson's with the number "6" in front of their model numbers are stainless steel.
Smith & Wesson made a 8 3/8 inch version of that revolver, and that may be the one used by Dirty Harry.

·
Registered
9 Posts
For those of you unfamiliar with Califorina regulations, here is what has to happen for a pistol to be on the list.

1.) The manufacturer has to submit the pistol to the Cal DOJ which "tests" the pistol (not sure what that entails). Part of the testing process is that the manufacturer has to pay for the testing

2.) If the pistol is accepted, it's put on the list for a certain amount of time.

3.) The manufacturer has to then pay later for the pistol to stay on the list as it term expires

What is even better is that the list is pretty detailed in terms of models. There is always a question about whether certain versions of a pistol are on the list or not.

And, if the pistol isn't on the list, you have 2 choices. One you can beg and plead the manufacturer to submit it or you have to find somebody in the state who has one already and then buy it in a person to person transfer (since we aren't allowed to transfer firearms without going through a dealer).

You guys in Free America should be so happy you don't live in the People's Republic of California.

G

·
kbar said:
Smith & Wesson made a 8 3/8 inch version of that revolver, and that may be the one used by Dirty Harry.
There's bit of lore about this. The revolvers carried by Clint Eastwood in the first Dirty Harry movie have been reported to be Model 57's (.41 Magnum). Various explainations are given for this, mostly that S&W didn't have any to supply to the studio when filming began. The .44 Magnum actually has a bore diameter of .429, The difference between this and .41 Magnum is very slight and probably not visually detectable. Perhaps someone has an authortive reference on this rumor.

In the movie they used both a gun with a 6" barrel for shots where the gun was drawn from a holster and a gun with an 8-3/8" barrel for shots where they wanted a more impressive looking gun. Watch the movie closely and you can spot the differences.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
in CA

I doute very much you can do a person to person transfer of an anaconda w/o a dealer. If its not on the approved list then i would wager in PRK they wont allow even a private party transfer. If you know that you can pls let us know, i do want an anaconda.

Its not worth risking your future gun rights even if the seller is willing to sell it to you directly w/o a dealer and the paperwork.

You post isnt clear on this matter, but i am sure you mean using a dealer to tansfer the weapon according to the law.

Andy

G

·
USCG1988 said:
in CA

I doute very much you can do a person to person transfer of an anaconda w/o a dealer. If its not on the approved list then i would wager in PRK they wont allow even a private party transfer. If you know that you can pls let us know, i do want an anaconda.
Not true. Person to person transfers are allowed even if the gun is not on the DOJ approved list. This is a private party sale conducted through a state approved dealer. I have bought several older guns this way.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
DJL4570

Well thats good news and i am glad to here it.

I am currently waiting until the 24th of Nov so i can dros another gun. I pick up my G17 on the 3rd :) but i have to wait 30 days to DROS another gun :(. On the 24th i will pick( start dros) up my first wheel gun, S&W 629 5".

If i get the wheelgun bug after shooting the 629 i will most likely look for an Anaconda. I remeber seeing them in the store years ago and i always loved the way they looked, cant beat Colt quality either.

Andy

Djl4570 if you got an anaconda for sale let me know :)

G

·
USCG1988 said:
DJL4570

Well thats good news and i am glad to here it.

but i have to wait 30 days to DROS another gun :(.
Not if it's a person to person transfer. Those art not counted as part of the gun of the month club. :)

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
you are correct

private party to private party transfers dont count but my G17 is from turners and is NIB, so i am stuck waiting :(. No big deal, i need to save some $ for the 629 anyway, this will give me time to make some xtra cash, if there is such a thing as "extra $".

Andy

·
Registered
697 Posts
I could be wrong, but if a dealer still has one on his shelves that they had before it was taken off the list and still have it... you can still buy it. Or if they have one on there shelves as "consignment"... I guess that's person to person?

It would probably be best to ask the Ca DOJ directly, they are actually pretty helpful.

I bought a Russian IJ70 Makarov that is not on the DOJ list from a local dealer last year. As far as I know, it's not on the C&R list either?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts