Gun Hub Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2,168 Posts
Good catch! There has definitely been considerable refinement to the art. The range distinction between point and aimed shooting was good.
Even though I'm in pretty fair shape, watching that 'FBI Crouch' made my legs want to hurt. That little forward hand sweep before reaching for the gun caught my eye--that's the waste of a fraction of a second.

Now to take my 10-9 for a walk...:)

·
Registered
8,499 Posts
Those "quick draw" holsters are nice....dated perhaps, but nice.
Interesting film. As Shep said the little hand sweep detracted from the efficiency of movement but much of the other stuff seemed pretty good to me.
I always love old films like that. Noticed some nice cap + ball guns in the intro .... which I am presuming are authentic, not repros, due to the date.
Thanks for posting it, Irishcop!

·
Registered
2,168 Posts
Interesting film. As Shep said the little hand sweep detracted from the efficiency of movement but much of the other stuff seemed pretty good to me.
I always love old films like that. Noticed some nice cap + ball guns in the intro .... which I am presuming are authentic, not repros, due to the date.
Am I the only one who thought, "Texas Ranger" when they flashed that fancy .45 rig?
----
Thinking about it, the outward wrist twist is a nice touch; it points the muzzle away from the shooter as he cleared leather. How many people have drilled themselves in the butt while trying to draw?

·
Registered
8,499 Posts
Actually I was thinking of the simpler ones ....:) But I'm not a ranger. :rolleyes:

The fancy one with the tooled leather made me think that if you used that, you'd better be really good with a gun, or you're just telling the world you have too high of an opinion of yourself. :ek:

But, I can see a Texas Ranger with that.

And if it was Chuck Norris...no I would NEVER tell him his opinion of himself was too high.:eek:mg:
Do you think I'm crazy???;)

·
Registered
2,168 Posts
It is a nice Texas BBQ rig. It still needs silver and turquoise inlays, though...

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Good catch! There has definitely been considerable refinement to the art. The range distinction between point and aimed shooting was good.
Even though I'm in pretty fair shape, watching that 'FBI Crouch' made my legs want to hurt. That little forward hand sweep before reaching for the gun caught my eye--that's the waste of a fraction of a second.

Now to take my 10-9 for a walk...:)
Yeah, Shep. Even when I had full range of motion, I'd a been distracted by the breeze I felt when the rear seam of my pants split open. ;)

I will confirm that the USAF was still teaching the "shoulder point crouch" as we called it from my enlistment in 1975 till about 1980...and I SUCKED at it.

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Welcome, Tommy! I wonder if those cap and ball revolvers and that fancy 1911 and rig were borrowed from the FBI firearms lab (at least the guns)? I mean, they're supposed to have at least one example of every firearm made to be used for comparison testing.

And how would you like to spend a couple of weeks loose in THERE?

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
I had forgotten that item one in the double action Manual of Arms was, "Put on a necktie."

An occasional review can help us so much in brushing up on the basics.

·
Banned
3,882 Posts
to ALL,

that "fancy rig" just CANNOT be a RANGER's! = everybody, who is TEXAS-BORN & bred, knows that our Rangers always carry TWO 1911 Colts.
(and sometimes THREE. = CHUCKLE.)

fwiw, i dated the daughter of one of ther most famous (modern) Rangers & he taught me in Sunday School when i was in Junior High & High School. - he carried TWO 100% engraved Colt's Gold Cups AND a "cut-down .45".
(and you wonder WHY i've "wasted my life" as a LEO??? = HERO WORSHIP is cetainly at least part of the reason.)

and YEP our Rangers are just as tough as their reputation! ====>
"Big Red" was known until his untimely death as "THE LAW in East Texas".

i cannot resist a "Texas Ranger story" that i know about 1st-hand. ====> in in the mid-'60s (i cannot remember the date, as it was @45 years ago!), a "crazy man" got up on the roof of a house in Pittsburg, TX with a high-powered rifle, a 12guage pumpgun, a .38 revolver with LOTS of ammo & started shooting at everybody in sight.
the Pittsburg PD & Camp County deputies responded to the emergency call.
2 were shot & the rest were "pinned down".
(Camp County's sheriff called "Red" & told him what was happening. - "Red" said that he's be there asap & arrived about 20 minutes later.)

"Red" pulled up in his car, took off his gunbelt & pitched it up on the car's roof (where the man could see it), casually walked over to the house & called up to the man, "That's enough. Get your rear down here".

the man said, "I'm going to KILL you."

"Red" responded, "You're NOT crazy enough to shoot a Ranger & you KNOW what would happen to you if you did."
(Texas "tradition" says that NO lawman will sleep or eat until the killer of a Ranger is DEAD. - forget about the killer being "apprehended".)

He then climbed up onto the roof, walked over to the man, took the rifle out of his hands, pushed the man OFF the roof, "shucked" the shells out of the rifle & pitched it off the roof, got down off the roof, looked over at a deputy & said, "He's yours now" & quietly got in his car & went home to dinner.
(TRUE STORY of what today would be, i suspect, called "tombstone courage"!)

yours, sw

·
Banned
3,882 Posts
to ALL,

fwiw, i'm "far from the only one" with a "serious case of hero worship" for our "old-school" Rangers: when Governor Price Daniels, Jr. left office, he was asked by a reporter with THE SAN ANTONIO LIGHT, "If you were to do it all over again, Governor, what would you do with your life?'

The Governor immediately said, "I'd hope to be appointed as a Texas Ranger.".

yours, sw

·
Registered
2,168 Posts
Good accounts, s-w!!

·
Banned
3,882 Posts
shep854,

fyi, in 1987, i was PRIVILEDGED to work with Senior Captain H. R. "Lefty" Block (and his deputy, who was also a Ranger Captain), during the Texas Flag Officer's Conference in Austin, which was attended by over 100 Admirals, General Officers, their wives & MANY senior civilian officials.
(i was then a serving MP officer.of the Army & "with duty with" the ARNGUS of TX.)

fyi, that is the first & only time that i've ever seen two (or even one!) Rangers dressed in a tuxedo & "armed to the teeth", at the final evening's "black-tie dinner-dance".
(the "security force" for the TFOC was the 2 Rangers, an ARNGUS Armor/0-3 & me. - i believe that everyone present "felt suitably protected".)

note: NO, the Senior Captain was NOT, contrary to what was reported in THE AUSTIN AMERICAN-STATESMAN, wearing the "OVERLY DECORATED, comic opera" Captain's badge, that his wife gave him for Christmas the year before. = instead he was wearing "his everyday badge", made from a gold 50 Peso piece.
(the "fancy badge" is made of a 50 Peso piece, "studded" with diamonds, emeralds, sapphires & pearls! - i do NOT believe that he EVER wore it! ====> women, sometimes, are "like that"! = CHUCKLE!)

yours, sw

·
Registered
291 Posts
Stand Watie, don't know about silver and turquoise inlaid holster rigs or gold piece badges, but your pal, Red, definitely had a set of solid brass balls!!!!

·
Banned
3,882 Posts
Pike Bishop; ALL,

YEP, Robert M. (RED) Arnold "had a pair" made of purest STAINLESS STEEL.

he was featured in the TEXAS RANGER DISPATCH MAGAZINE in 2 articles written by his son. (Issues 8 & 9, 2002)
Ranger Arnold's weapons/gunbelt/holsters/gear, Ranger badge/credentials & any number of other "pieces of his life" are on public display at THE TEXAS RANGER MUSEUM in Waco, TX.

note: Red Arnold was NOT my "pal", as i was only a "shirt-tail, wet behind the ears, kid" & a member of his Sunday School class. - instead, he was one of my boyhood HEROES.
(regardless of what any kid thinks, he is NOT a "pal of" a man grown. - he was, however, a close friend of my father's. = i was honored just to have known him.)

anyone, who is interested in his heroism/exploits, as a combat Marine 1SG of WWII, Highway Patrolman & as a TX Ranger can "google" his name. - he will NOT be "hard to find", as he "cast a long shadow" over East TX for over 3 decades.

NOTE: "Lefty" Block's career/exploits, of whom i wrote a few lines, is also featured in THE TEXAS RANGER MUSEUM in Waco. = "Lefty" is also a "legend in his own time".

yours, sw

·
Banned
3,882 Posts
to ALL,

one more short comment on personal Ranger HEROES of mine: when i was a lad (of perhaps 6-8YO), my dad took me to meet "The Lone Wolf" (CPT Manuel Trazazas Gonzaullas, born 1891, died 1977), whom my father had known in the long-ago days of the Kilgore Oilfield.
(i was small enough, that CPT Gonzaullas picked me up, sat me in his lap & talked to me for quite a while! - he seemed BIG to me then, though he was only 5'5" tall & weighed 112pounds when he joined the Ranger Service.)

fwiw, there were "Giants walking the Earth in those days". - i doubt that we will see their equal again.

yours, sw

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Yeah, back then they had a set that CLANGED when they walked, instead of clinking like wind chimes!

·
Banned
3,882 Posts
IrishCop,

YEP. they certainly DID.

note on Ranger badges: ALL real Ranger badges are hand-made (& have been since about 1870) from Mexican COINS.
Ranger Captains have a badge made out of a gold 50 Peso piece.
Ranger Privates & Sergeants badges are made out of a silver 2 or 5 (depending on the historical era) Peso piece.
(we have had NO Ranger Lieutenants appointed in about 150 years. - the last Ranger LTs were in Terry's Rangers during TWBTS.)

yours, sw

1 - 19 of 19 Posts