Gun Hub Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All!!
Just bought my first gun at age 40. Still have not fired it yet or bought ammo so any thoughts on range and PP would be welcome. Going for my CWP as soon as I return from a trip. Just bought a Smith & Wesson Sig 40. 2 clips, pistol and holster for $320 cash. Look forward to learning all I can. Thanks!

·
Banned
3,882 Posts
JanitorialGangster,

WELCOME ABOARD!!!! = You have found the RIGHT place, imVho.

yours, sw

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
Welcome. This is a friendly place where you will learn much just by hanging out.

Assuming you're not terribly familiar with guns yet, let me just mention a couple of things:

First, the four rules of safe gun handling:

1. All guns are always loaded. (We know that's not the case, but we always assume it.)

2. Never point a gun at anything you're not willing to destroy (remember rule 1).

3. Keep your finger off the trigger until your sights are on the target. (You've seen many TV shows and movies where people keep their fingers on the trigger all the time. Don't...outside the trigger guard and alongside the weapon, pointing forward.)

4. Be sure of your target and what's beyond. (The bullet probably won't stop in your target. Know where it will end up.)

Second, one little piece of knowledge about your pistol, ignorance of which has killed many, many people: when you remove the magazine (not "clip", magazine), the weapon may NOT be unloaded. There can still be a round in the chamber, ready to go off if you don't follow rule 3.

You are going to have many happy hours shooting, and you'll learn much on this forum. Again, welcome.

·
Registered
5,678 Posts
JT,

Welcome aboard, hope you really enjoy shooting; it's about as much fun as a guy can have with his clothes on. The "E" series Sigma's are VERY good pistols. I tend to think they're about the best deal going on a brand new pistol. You chose well. The .40 S&W is a snappy round, you'll feel the recoil.

Handgun shooting is all about two things, sight picture and trigger control. Aligning the sights right, focusing on the front sight and maintain that perfect sight picture all the way through the trigger pull.

Trigger control is the toughest part, because everyone has to fight back "flinch" or anticipation of the round going off. Here's how a perfect trigger pull ought to be. Perfect sight alignment, then start a steady, easy pull on the trigger as you slowly exhale. The gun going off ought to completely surprise you; if it did, chances are you put that round right through the X ring. If it didn't, then you anticipated the shot and you jerked the trigger.

Over the years I've gotten to where I can jerk the trigger and still get it in or very close to the X ring. When I was first starting off, I couldn't hit squat. Dry fire practice is absolutely invaluable.

What took me from a lousy shot to a pretty good shot was a stupid little book, and I don't even know where I got it. http://www.amazon.com/Shoot-Handgun-Manual-How/dp/0961110813

All the basics are in there, and trust me, it's all just the basics and only the basics. The guys you see competing on the combat ranges just do the basics fast. Shoot right, then shoot fast...Never take the shortcut of shooting fast before you shoot right; you can never miss fast enough to catch up in a gun fight.

Take what CaptainGyro said to heart; those are lifelong words to live by (and to make sure everyone around you lives too). If you don't have the time to memorize the 4 rules of gun safety, then you'd be better off just selling the gun.

I hope you have the time of your life with your new pistol and welcome to the world of shooting!

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
Welcome aboard. Pull up a chair and prepare to learn. I know I'm still learning.

·
Banned
3,882 Posts
TooTall,

WELL SAID. = I learn something worthwhile here nearly every visit.

yours, sw

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
Howdy from Alabama! Welcome, sir.

One more tip. As Kevin said, dry fire (practicing your sight alignment and trigger squeeze with an EMPTY gun) is a really a great tool. Just be sure that when you do this, it is in a room or area where THERE IS NO AMMO. No where.

Always pick an area that can absorb a bullet without causing any collateral damage. A bookcase full of books, a basement concrete wall. You get the picture. Take it from me. Accidents can and do happen. Follow the four rules the good Cap'n listed, and even if you break one of them, chances are really good that at least no one will be hurt.

Have fun! Believe me, once you get a taste of it, it's a hard habit to break.

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
I had a unintended discharge once. I had a Smith .44 special, I opened the cylinder, turned the revolver up and dumped the ammo on the bench, closed the cylinder, cocked the hammer, pointed the gun down range, and pulled the trigger. BANG! What are the odda that one would hang up and be the next in line to be fired? No harm done but it taught me a valuable lesson.

·
Registered
5,678 Posts
I had a unintended discharge once. I had a Smith .44 special, I opened the cylinder, turned the revolver up and dumped the ammo on the bench, closed the cylinder, cocked the hammer, pointed the gun down range, and pulled the trigger. BANG! What are the odda that one would hang up and be the next in line to be fired? No harm done but it taught me a valuable lesson.
I've had one AD and one ND.

AD was a slam fire in a CAR-15 look alike. That was rather scary because I dropped in a 30 round magazine and hit the bolt release and when it went home, the first round fired. It could have just kept going. I just smiled and handed the guy his rifle back and said, "on second thought, no thanks".

My one ND was me having my head completely up my arse, I picked up a loaded .357 to check the DA trigger pull, pointed it up in the air (at least I put it in a safe direction) and BOOM!!! That was over 25 years ago and thank God I remember that even EVERY time I pick up a handgun.

·
Registered
2,117 Posts
LOL, KG, reminds me of my own ND story--shot myself in the ass with an airsoft 1911. O.O LOL

JG, welcome aboard!

·
Registered
1 Posts
nice

"Arguing with liberals is like playing chess with a pigeon: no matter how good you are, it's just going to knock over the pieces, crap all over the board and strut around like it won."
--Unknown
Diamondback is offline Report Post :p:p:cry:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts