Gun Hub Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was just wondering about the compensated barrels?? Seems like a good idea with the larger caliber Glocks. The only bad thing I've heard about them is they will blind you in low light scenerios..Any input???

·
Registered
10,807 Posts
My comments apply to all compensated handguns. not just Glocks.

First, the gas is hard on tritium sights. Second, the gun itself is a hazzard to the user in up close and personal encounters. Close retention holds (speed rock) expect to get burned. Held close and chest high, expect to get hot gas in your face.

Now if you're using the handgun strickly on the range with standard sights or even optical sights, have at it.

·
Premium Member
7,055 Posts
Hoo-rah top!

Ported barrels have absolutely no place on a defensive handgun. Even from a distance of a foot the crud that comes out of a .45 ACP ported barrel will shred cloth and hide. Burns are probably the least concern.

Yes, they do reduce muzzle flip a little but an old curmudgeon I know once said that people who need ports should buy a smaller caliber. :)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yea, I kinnda ruled them out for defense purpose...But do they work that well for the shooting range?? Well enough for the extra $$ anyway...

·
Premium Member
7,055 Posts
Both ports and compensators really work by venting gas under pressure so they will be more effective with a high pressure cartridge such as the 10mm than a .45 ACP which runs at half the pressure.

I can generally feel a little difference but it isn't very much.

"worth" is a relative term but if you could do an objective cost/benefit study my guess is that it wouldn't pay off.

There is also the "crutch" issue or the argument over trying to get hardware to solve a software problem. IMO a case of practice ammo is a better investment.

·
Registered
19 Posts
brakes

they vector more of the muzzle blast back toward the shooter.
you get hit by gasses and unburnt powder.
brakes can be a PITA to clean

not really needed with the exception of the 10MM and possibly the .357 SIG.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I've got a Glock 17C, and have it only becuase I got a killer deal on it, I'd much rather have the standard 17.

That being said, its a sweet range gun, however, I have purchased a NON-COMPENSATED aftermarket barrel for carry and Production pistol competitions.

-JLW

·
Registered
35 Posts
There is also the "crutch" issue or the argument over trying to get hardware to solve a software problem. IMO a case of practice ammo is a better investment.
That was my first thought too. Like a golfer using Belly putter, or a corked bat in baseball.

Recoil is half the fun of shooting, especially with a new gun.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts