Gun Hub Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm brand new to gunhub and based on the treads I've read, I'm hoping someone can help me identify a rifle I've inherited from my father. His brother (my uncle) server in the European theatre in WWII and came home with serveral rifles and pistols, some of which he gave to my father. This particular rifle has perplexed both him and my uncle as neither could explain how ammo gets fed into the bolt action mechanism (picture to follow). Based on the markings on the underside of the barrel (SV8 AM), I found proofhouse.com which states the following, assuming I'm interpreting the AM designation correctly:

AM Abbreviation on Italian military arms meaning Aeronautica Militare (Air Force).

I haven't found anything regarding the SV8 or the number 19 which is stamped below the SV8. Hopefully some of these pictures will help. I've been looking at this rifle since I was a kid and always wondered what it was used for. Any and all help will be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
It looks like a Krag Jorgenson from what I can see in those photos. The US army used some Krags from the Spanish American war until the 03 Springfield replaced it. How ever with those proof marks I woud say yours is probably Norwegian it's European for sure. What caliber is it? If it's a Krag all you have to do to load it is pulldown the door on the right side and drop the ammo in, close it up and you are ready to go.

·
Premium Member
7,055 Posts
That's what I thought too based on the magazine. Now I'm sure…

No telling what the markings mean because they went all over the place after we were through with them.

The caliber is 30-40 Krag

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
Charlie, I'm not so sure it's 30-40. The Norwegians used a home built version of the Krag in 6.5 MM. With the proof marks on this I don't think it's US surplus.

·
Banned
3,882 Posts
bearcat6,

YEP. And the Norwegians sold Krag rifles/carbines all over the place on contract, including some in (I think) 7mm Mauser to Venezuela.
(When I was last in Carabobo in 1991, they had some Krag "long-rifles" in the armory.)

yours, sw

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
You guys are good!

Thank you all very much for your help and so much for me and the Italian Airforce! Based upon your suggestions I have a Krag-Jorgensen Kavaleret M/1895 Cavalry Carbine based upon the sling swivels being to the left side of the single barrel band and being under the stock behing the pistol grip. It is obvious that it's missing the side plate, magazine and other parts, however now I know what I'm dealing with. The bittersweet part is that my dad is no longer here to share the news with.

Thanks very much for your help.

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
After looking at the pictures again it appears the whole magazine assembly is missing although it is hard to see, but I think I can see right through the rifle. True? Numrich has parts for Norwegian and Danish Krags. Just Google Numrich.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Bearcat6 - thank you and much obliged. It is missing the entire magazine and I am interested in making it complete.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts