Gun Hub Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Banned
3,882 Posts
shep854,

SORRY i'll pass, seeing/hearing "our liar-in-chief" makes me ILL. ===> all i want to see of him is seeing him G-O-N-E, GONE.

yours, satx

·
Registered
8,499 Posts
The Obama advert must have been removed.

Boy those Garands worked well!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:rolleyes:
I love thos old training films.

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
Oh you did it now Shep now I want to go try out my new knowledge gained.I am surprised that the M1 does not have the L/bar sight knob.I picked up one for my M1a off a Winnie parade rifle for $75 figured it was deal just for the sight plus it worked much better than the one supplied by Springfield.

·
Registered
2,168 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Oh you did it now Shep now I want to go try out my new knowledge gained.I am surprised that the M1 does not have the L/bar sight knob.I picked up one for my M1a off a Winnie parade rifle for $75 figured it was deal just for the sight plus it worked much better than the one supplied by Springfield.
When you finish your upgrades, let me know the total and your address so I can calculate my commission and mail you the bill.;)

·
Registered
2,168 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Sorry guys; here's Part 1 (73 min.): This one also goes into slinging up!
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QoZ_usoFVSc&feature=related[/media]

·
Registered
8,499 Posts
Interesting. I never knew the M1 Garand sling was that complicated -- or could be used like that! 'Course ....I've only seen these rifles being used on TV. I did actually handle one in a gunstore once but it had no sling.

·
Registered
2,168 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Interesting. I never knew the M1 Garand sling was that complicated -- or could be used like that! 'Course ....I've only seen these rifles being used on TV. I did actually handle one in a gunstore once but it had no sling.
The leather sling was a carry-over from the M1903; if you think the sling is complicated, check out the '03's original leaf rear sight!
The leather sling shown was replaced with the much simpler web sling soon after this film was made. It is far easier to use as a shooting sling--I trained with the web sling on the M14 in '75.

·
Banned
3,882 Posts
shep854,

fwiw, i'd like to get my grubby little hands on a marked RVN era NYLON "jungle sling" that was issues wiith the garands EARLY in the "police action" (when JFK was POTUS).
(YES, some garands WERE issued in the very early days of the MESS! - my Uncle Jimmy nearly got an Article 15 over trying to bring an H&R home that he took off a dead Charlie.- you may NOT bring back USweapons as war trophies, even when the commander allows "war souvenirs".)

i keep thinking that i'll find one at a gunshow, but no such luck.
(the nylons were WITHDRAWN from official issue in 1961, i THINK, as they were TOO SLIPPERY.)

also, i'd like to find an "ersatz 'mills' belt" & sling that is DANISH-marked to fit-out my favorite Danish M-1.

yours, sw

·
Registered
2,168 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
SW, is that the one that clipped to the rear sling swivel, where you built the arm loop with a buckle at the rear and adjusted tension with a slide fastener at the front?
----
I finally watched the film I linked in the OP; it was extremely enlightening. When I FAMFIRED the M14 38 years ago :eek:mg: ,I was only taught battlesight zero; none of the details in the film. Had I been commissioned, it would have been in 1979, and I would have qualled with the M16A1.

·
Banned
3,882 Posts
shep854,

YEP. and it was GENERALLY "marked" by a USAAMU, as "experimental" or "test", though some were marked in other "fashions".
(remember, we only had about 500-1000 MILITARY "US Embassy Security personnel", "advisors", "construction engineers", "technical consultants", etc, when JFK was in office IF the figures released under FOIA are anything like correct .)

a "occasionally reliable government agency" had THOUSANDS of employees in theatre, some of whom had "advised" the Viet Minh, against the Japanese AND against the French.
(fyi, our tribe's Principal Chief was an "advisor" to the Black Cats in 1962-64.)

yours, sw

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
Shep I had a fella out at the range once ask to shoot my M1a he stated like you it was his issued rifle back in the day.The gentleman informed me that on the front site if the front blade fit between the shoulders your target was 200yds+/- out and to sight in on the head to drop in the chest or stomach.I would have to mention that is providing one was sighted in @100yds like me.It all seemed to make sense to me is thier much truth to it as you might remember?

·
Registered
2,168 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
For 'battlesight zero' we were told to bottom out the sight elevation, then count a certain numbercof clicks. For some reason, I remember 30, but that's way too much. Most likely, it was 10 like in the film.
This was supposed to give a torso hit on a man out to 300m, given a 6:00 hold.

·
Registered
2,168 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Wow!! I just pulled out my M1A, and looked closely at the elevation drum. After watching the Garand film, I saw how to loosen the drum and set the scale to 0. THEN I found that 10 clicks takes me to the 200m mark, and 20 clicks is 300m! My memory wasn't completely off, since I FAMFIRED my M14 at 300m and most likely dialed in 20 clicks for that range.
----
Also, the web sling is unmarked; most likely made in ROK.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts