Gun Hub Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,055 Posts
That circulated on the High Standard Collectors site a week or so ago.

I have no personal knowledge of that gun.

When I was working on the book I spent quite a bit of time at the factory. George Wilson Sr. was deceased and George Jr. had retired and moved to FL. I did get to meet him and George III was a good friend at Wilson Arms (barrel makers).

Some of the other members questioned some of the information but there really was no hard evidence one way or another.

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
Thanks for the links, Mr. Watters. I really enjoyed the video. What an interesting pistol!

Even in a less than hi-def version of the video, you could see very fine work that went into this pistol, from the fit to the grips to the very nicely polished blue finish.

Couldn't believe they actually shot the thing!

·
Registered
5,678 Posts
Looks like a fixed barrel which should equal great accuracy. The barrel is as even with the top strap of the grip as I've ever seen, so recoil ought to be really mild. All in all, looks like a slick pistol.

·
Premium Member
1,277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Here's a link so you can download a pdf of the patent application with its drawings. Once you enter the verification code it will begin the download:

Espacenet verification

Dan Love displayed his prototype at the 2013 Brownells Gunsmith Conference & Job Fair. It seemed rather chunky through the grip despite being a single stack. Still, it was awfully neat. I later stumbled across a mid-1980s issue of of Gun World in which Love had written a letter inquiring about the magazine's coverage of the Wilson prototype back in the mid-1960s. It seems that Love was so smitten with the design that he had to recreate it for himself.

·
Premium Member
7,055 Posts
The link wouldn't work for me.

I read the claims, but without the drawing it was hard to decipher.

I think there is at least some similarity to the Grant Hammond/ High Standard that also has a fixed barrel.

·
Premium Member
7,055 Posts
Thanks, that worked.

It sure does look a lot like Wilson's. I sure would like to see a drawing of the breech locking mechanism.

·
Premium Member
1,277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
It used a tilting block, sort of like the Walter P38 or Beretta 92. You could clearly see it pivot out of engagement when moving the slide.

·
Premium Member
1,277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
See Figure 8 in the drawings? #82 points to the locking notches in the slide. Figures 9A, 9B, and 9D show the locking block as #48. It appears to me that the locking block is pinned to the barrel assembly, and is cammed out of engagement with the slide by the frame pin #38.

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
Well, I sure do wish Dan Love luck in this venture. It's an interesting gun, but it certainly is geared to a limited market. The Tactical Tupperware folks will turn their noses up at it. Personally, I'd love to play around with one for an afternoon.

Wonder if he's going to stay with the high polished blue finish? No images loaded under the Gallery tab, and the illustration on the home page looks just like that...an illustration, not a photo.

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
Well, that does make sense. A high polish blue would probably add $300 or more to the price tag these days.

I will keep an eye on this. Like to see if it does make it to the market, and succeeds.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts