Gun Hub Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking to hear from folks who have first hand experience with a KTM motorcycle.

About a month ago, I went to see my BMW dealer about trading in my R1200C on an R1150GS. I knew he wasn't going to offer me close to what I could get privately, but I suck as a salesman, and I thought he'd get close enough considering I have bought 2 bikes from him. The price he quoted me was a big suprise, and not a happy one. So, I've decided to keep the Cruiser for touring and other low speed days.
I have a bike for speed, but I was looking for something that would be happy on all the dirt and gravel roads around here. It seems like all the nifty old stuff worth photographing around here is on the back roads.

I was looking at a Kawasaki KLR650, and it looks like a good bike. It also doesn't hurt that the total price of the bike is cheaper than the remaining cash I'd need for the GS, plus I get to keep the Cruiser.
Then I found out we have a KTM dealer right nearby. He had some bikes in that looked like they were really well built, and the "Adventure" is a sweet bike. I never rode dirt, so I'm not real familiar with KTM. I used to be a big Mt. Biker, and as such dirt bikes were kind of "the enemy". Oh well- live and learn.

Are they worth the cash? They sure aren't cheap.

·
Registered
5 Posts
KTM's are the tops

Hey,

Newbie here but gotta jump here and make my 1st post. Little about myself. I raced motocross when young and practically grew up on a dirt bike. Crossed over and rode street when old enough, raced figure 8 cars, 4 wheelers, enduro and harescrambles, about anything with wheels and a motor. I now putz around when possible and help manage and maintain a off-road park here in Iowa.

KTM's are the top of the heap when talking off-road bikes. I just bougt a new one last spring and unfortunatly it is for sale already :cry: I have a back injury that i can no longer or soon won't be able to ride. Not trying to push them beacuse of my bike for sale beacuse this is my dream bike I always wanted. If anyone is interested there is a pic and link below with info. This LC4 model has won the Int. Six Days Enduro many years in a row. This is a true dirt bike that is DOT legal. The best of both worlds. You gotta love that Austrian engineering, same ppl that brought us the Glock!
KTM moters were developed to be abused and the engineering is amazing. I really can't say enough good about them!

Here is my bike FS..please make me an offer if anyone is interested!details below the pic.

Like new 2001 KTM LC4 400, new this spring still under warranty, only 500 miles on it. They no longer import these enduro models -only the adventure. This bike is hardly broken in, oil changed at 100 miles. DOT street legal stock bike. It will take me anywhere I care to go and some I don't! I will deliver/meet within 150 miles of my home. $4300 OBO (-comapre a new one to this!)

·
Registered
29 Posts
I haven't had a KTM, but it has been a respected name in dirt bikes in Europe for a long time. If I could afford it, I'd trade my K100RT for a 950 Adventure.

However, you won't go wrong with a new or properly maintained used KLR650. I have ridden an older ones of those (my brother had it for a couple of years) and I think it would serve well for the purpose you described.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Munenn:

I haven't had any experience with the dual sport models, but if your lookin to play in the dirt its hard to beat the new 2007 450XC.

The 450XC is an excellent off road bike for enduro style riding.

Are the KTM's worth it? YES!! Every last penny! They hold their value very well and come from the factory "race ready" with many high end components already installed.

"Race Ready" doesn't necessarily mean that you will have to race the bike, just that it is set up very well and that you could race with one right out of the crate with virtually no modifications.

KTM has some new editions this year that might interest you such as the Super Enduro.

Leftover new bikes usually depreciate in value about $700-$1000 per year, so you might want to look at a leftover.

I suggest that if you want to learn something about the KTM you are interested in buying, join KTM Talk at ktmtalk.com the best resource on the planet regarding KTM bikes.

Max

1 - 4 of 4 Posts