Gunhub.com banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, new here.
Have CCW and can hit what I aim at generally speaking, but would like to learn more about the tactics that are taught in the military and to law enforcement (ie how best to defend agianst multiple attackers (target selection and sequencing). By learning this I can taper my shooting drills to help me in a real life and death situation. In the terrible event that I ever need to shoot to defend myslef, I'd like to be proficient enough to protect myself efficiently. Any good online resources (there are tons of books out there, but there must be something online).
Any ideas/links?

·
Registered
855 Posts
Aaron, welcome to the Amback Forums and The Gun Zone. There are a few good books that may be of interest to you. John Farnam's "method" book is but one that leaps to mind and should be readily available on Amazon.com. You may even want to look into the Gunsite videos. I am sure others here will recommend other good books for you.

I have shelves full of such books, and more than a few videos. While books and videos provide much useful information, none will be a substitute for training with a good instructor and sending lots of rounds downrange in the course of that training. This is especially true with regard to "tactics." Defensive shooting skills are learned more by doing (under capable guidance) than by reading or watching video (though, again, they can certainly be useful supplements).

If you'd like suggestions for instructors or training schools, you're sure to get lots of helpful suggestions here if you ask.

Edit: I now see you're looking for "online" resources. There are numerous forums with tactical discussions, but sorting out the noise from the useful information may be a bit tricky for a newbie. There is no shortage of armchair commandos out there willing to give advice. The suggestion to get instruction from a well-credentialed individual -- who actually knows how to teach -- remains.

·
Registered
855 Posts
strangebrew said:
http://www.bullseyepistol.com/ has a boatload of good info and links
That may be a true statement, but it appears to be wholly unresponsive to the OP's query. Did you actually read his post, or are you just promoting a site?

·
Registered
11 Posts
LIProgun said:
I like to argue over the internet and make thinly veiled spamming accusations.
I could have been wrong on that link, but I sure as hell am not promoting that site or anything of that nature. .

Here are some other links that the OP may find helpful (and I am not trying to promote globalsecurity.org):

http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/ ... /index.htm

More specifically

http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/ ... -1/ch5.pdf

http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/ ... 1/appe.pdf

http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/ ... 1/appf.pdf

and probably has the most info:
http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/ ... 1/appk.pdf

Military/LE manuals are a good resource for this sort of info. Things like how to go over something, go down a hallway, how to enter a room, where to look for threats, and so on are covered. A lot of these are for team actions, but it does not take that much of a stretch of the mind to extract some good hints and tactics from the literature. Even a manual on to drive a group of tanks through an urban area may have some information that you could apply to your situation if you are in your car.

LIProgun it apears that you did not even read the OPs post. I really do not care if you a moderator here or not. Fine, I will just leave, but accusing people of spam is just stupid. Like I said with the tank example above, there is some good info that could be picked out of many not directly to the point online shooting sites. Even if I do not respect you because of what you accused me of/hinted at me doing, I am certainly not going to disrespect anyone's site by posting unwanted ads commercial or not.

OP: I need some help

You: oh I am not going to read your post first but answer it anyway

Me: some link that you did not think would be helpful

You: read the OP and stop spamming???

·
Super Moderator
1,943 Posts
strangebrew said:
LIProgun said:
I like to argue over the internet and make thinly veiled spamming accusations.
When the Moderator hears you quack and sees you waddle, you shouldn't get too upset if he asks if you are a duck.
He wasn't the only one who wondered if you read the post.

·
Registered
10,804 Posts
I suggest that strangbrew change his attitude and stop faking quotes. To do less will all but guarantee a very short tenure on this board.

·
Registered
979 Posts
strangebrew said:
LIProgun it apears that you did not even read the OPs post. I really do not care if you a moderator here or not. Fine, I will just leave, but accusing people of spam is just stupid. Like I said with the tank example above, there is some good info that could be picked out of many not directly to the point online shooting sites. Even if I do not respect you because of what you accused me of/hinted at me doing, I am certainly not going to disrespect anyone's site by posting unwanted ads commercial or not.
Strange, This particular forum is run by some very knowledgeable people, I would advise you not get crosswise of them. Advise from someone who has seen the light.

Anyway, I checked out some of your links and found there is good info there for someone wanting to learn more.

However, please don't come with an attitude if you want to stick around long. We all make mistakes so pull up a chair and stay a while, there is much to learn and life is short.

·
Premium Member
6,935 Posts
WTF is this?!?!

strangebrew said:

OP: I need some help

You: oh I am not going to read your post first but answer it anyway

Me: some link that you did not think would be helpful

You: read the OP and stop spamming???
I have no idea who in the ever-lovin' blue-eyed little world you are, or more important who you think you are, but you are, for openers, toast, and as intellectually dishonest a MwaM as has ever stumbled in here! And I don't care what sort of timeline you were afforded by the spook.

Sorry, Rob, et al… I missed this bozoid.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Besides a certain display of ATTITUDE, i fail to see what our departed member did wrong.

Excuse me but i find the use of the "D" to show member status very uncomfortable. To me it has an extremely unpleasant meaning.

Returnig to the original subject, the other day i accessed one forum that used to have very interesting info online only to find that contents had been removed for security reasons since 9/11. It's a pity, some of us do not have access to that kind of info by other means.

But there are a lot of BG out there and you never know.

0-0

1 - 10 of 10 Posts