Gun Hub Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am thinking of building a 6.5X06 (got plenty of 06 brass) and ran up on 6.5x06 A Square round. Does anyone have either the wildcat or the A Square? Please tell me everything I needed to know and didn't know what to ask. Thanks Hummer

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Late last night after posting above I surfaced cartridge drawings for both and it appears the A Square boys just took a SAAMI print for 30.06 and duplicated everything but neck/throat dimensions and it varies just minutely from a Clymer 6.5X06 drawing I have so for all practical purposes my 6.5X06 dies should load the AS round just fine.

This is great because I have a pile of 30.06 brass and I don't have to drop a mint on Norma brass as I did for 6.5X284. The case capacity is the same depending on the maker of the brass so the AS is basically a poor man's 6.5X284.

Will be getting an AS chamber reamer from Manson in next week or so with a custom base dimension of .467 so I can get longer case life. 30.06 chambers can run upwards of .473 so when they are sized back down brass gets moved a bunch. On my 30.06 chambers a new case is .465 and I fire it and pull it out and it is sprung back to .466 to .4662 so basically the base doesn't move.

I plan on building a cross the course AS on this round.

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well I just barreled up three Mod 70s in 6.5X06 AS Improved. The improved is it has a tighter chamber and a .292 neck instead of .299 which requires all cases to be neck turned to custom fit the tight neck.

Loading 50.3 Gr of RL 22 per QuickLoad is giving me 2973 FPS (mine was given a Palma Contour Douglas Barrel that finshed out at 30.5". Pressure is like 53,000 lbs. The load is right at top of yellow area in QL.

Here is the kicker. From a 200 yard zero going to 1000 yards you only come up 26 minutes.

According to Sierra this should make a interesting hunting platform. Zero it at 500 yards and from 0 to 500 yards you won't have a shot rise above Point of Aim over 15.5" and this happens as it passes 300 yard mark.

Wish I had got on this years ago when I was getting set up for a 6.5X284. I have a brand new reamer for that and a hundred pieces of brass and the dies and have never used any of them.

Right now I have it zeroed at 600 with both iron sights and Unertl Target Scope getting ready to head for Camp Perry to shoot the long range championships.

·
Registered
4 Posts
but I doubt that you need that

·
Banned
3,882 Posts
Hummer,

do you by chance have access to a chamber reamer for .400 Brown-Whelen Improved OR know of anyone who does?
(that's a "blown-out-straight" & "necked-up" 30.06 case for a .411 bullet.)

i'm considering having a Browning "BAR" rebarreled/chambered for that wildcat for moose, big bears & MAYBE for a trip to South Africa next year.
(a group of us "crossbow nuts" have been invited "to hunt his ranch" for "plains game", by a crossbow forum-member.)

at this point, i'm 99% sure that i've found & traded for an .06 BAR (with badly pitted barrel), for cheap.

yours, sw

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Stand, Sorry about delayed answer.

Sorry never heard of the Brown/Whelen but sure sounds interesting in that I have 3 four cavity Lyman molds for 41 cal bullets brand new ! ! ! ! !

If anyone would have that reamer drawing it would be Clymer as they had a big library. The did lots of custom reamers when Dave Manson was there. Now Dave is running Manson Precision Reamers but he doesn't have any of the Clymer drawings.

Seems the big problem is going to be dies and if anyone has them it would be Huntington Die Specialties.

Let us know how you do in this, sounds interesting for sure.

As a update I had all kinds of elevation problems at Perry and got home and found out the Quick Load Program the data was worked from was low. I was running 50.3 grains of RL22 and now run 53 gr. and getting 3015 fps with 142s. Was working up load with iron sights and shot a .506 c-c group at 100 in one hole.

·
Banned
3,882 Posts
Hummer,

all you need to know about the .400 Brown-Whelen can be found in an article, on pages 220-223, by John Kronfeld in the book BIG BORE RIFLES & CARTRIDGES by Wolf Publishing Co, of 6471 Airpark Dr, Prescott, AZ. published in 1991.- fwiw, the cartridge is essentially nothing but a necked-up, blown-out & fire-formed 30.06 case, which is easy to reload with dies from Huntington.

two examples:
a 400 grain Barnes RN solid, in front of 59 grains of RL-15 yields 2,027FPS, in a Ruger Model 77 rifle produces groups, at 100yards, of 3/4 of an inch.
(.400 grain Barnes solids retail for 46.oo a hundred.)
and
a 375 grain NEI GC cast bullet (of wheelweights + 2% tin), in front of 54 grains of AAC-2520 yields 2051FPS, with groups of about 1 inch at 100 yards.
(sounds like a fine "woods" elk/moose KILLER to me & at less than 25 cents each.)

in short, either load in the .400B-W equals the well-regarded, for all game through cape buffalo & elephant, .450/.400 Nitro Express or .404 Jeffery Rimless Express. = about 4000FP of muzzle energy.

note: you don't even want to know what a box of .404 Jeffery 400grain factory solids costs these days!
(over 135.oo bucks for a box of twenty shells! = YIKES!)

finally, shot off the bench the Ruger 77 PUSHES rather than KICKS. =====> not too shabby for a blown-out & fire-formed 30.06 case.
(i fully expect that the re-bored/rechambered Browning BAR to be a mild kicker & fully capable of taking any game that this OF will ever try to take, anywhere.)

yours, sw

·
Banned
3,882 Posts
Hummer,

as you likely know, i like 30.06-based cartridges as i get the cases (picked out of the range's "brass-barrel") for free & most of my reloads are GC lead, that i get as lead scrap from the "mining the range" & from local metal salvage yards. - this makes for REALLY cheap shooting!

my BEST shooting rifle, oddly enough, is a "mixmaster" 1917 US "Enfield P-17", which was "reamed out" to accept .303British bullets, by the British Home Guard during WWII. - that one shoots 6-shot groups into a single ragged hole at 200M, off the bench, using a 220 grain GC lead bullet (that Ed had a "2-holer mould" custom-made for).
(though NOT by me. the groups were fired by my brother-of-the-heart, C. E. Harris, who is not only a better shot than i will ever be, but also has MUCH better vision. - Ed is 55, instead of 65YY, & shoots service rifle competitively, at the national/international matches.)

the rest of my stable of 30.06-based rifles are a .35Whelen, a .375Whelen & the (hopefully soon to come) .400B-W.

with those rifles (plus my much-loved .243Win Remington 7400 rifle), i can cover most anything on the planet.

yours, sw

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ed is retired now and hold up where he can't be bothered except by friends haha.

If you can't make it from 308 or 30.06 I don't need it either ! ! !

1 - 11 of 11 Posts