Gun Hub Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
or the new Acela version? I hear it's a lot of money. All I'd want to do is go down for the day, have a meal or two, walk around, smoke a cigar and come back. The main reason is to see what the Metroliner's top speed of 125 feels like, and in the case of the Acela, 150 mph. I hear it's pretty expensive if that's all you want to do, so it's probably a stupid idea, but one question . . .

does your coffee really stay in the mug on that train???

·
Registered
356 Posts
No, always wanted to but never did. I did make the run from Baltimore to NYC quite often even up into the 60's for just that type scenaro. The trains back then were not quite as fast but the rails were still in great shape from all the infrastructure improvements made during WWII (tto bad we seemed to forget them shortly thereafter) and it was a great. Head north in the morning, spend the day in NY and then a nice ride home.

They still had something called a CLUB car back then. Good cigar and a great Manhattan on the trip home. Clickety-clack, clickety-clack, clickety-clack, clickety-clack. Card game, low stakes or high, you pays your nickle and you takes your chances.

·
Premium Member
8,785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Back in the days when the Penn Central ran the passenger rail/commuter operations from Grand Central Terminal going northward and outward, I had a boss who used to ride in from Yonkers and he would talk fondly of the after work card games and drinks in the bar cars heading home during the evenings. I actually got to ride in a bar car a few times visiting my mother and her husband after they moved out of the city up to Rye in the 70's. I remember before they had raised platforms, and when there were still FP-7's doing push/pull operations to and from the city, along with FL-9's.

My most cultured railroading experience came in the summer of 1969, when at the age of 12 years and nine months, my mother took me and my sister on a trip to Arvada, Colorado to see my uncle and his family. After taking some poorly maintained old equipment out to Chicago's incredible Union Station, we then boarded The Denver Zephyr out to Denver. What a wonderful, truly American experience!!! We had a sleeper car, ate in the dining car, rode in the Vista-Dome and got to see the famous "Plains States" and the overall beauty and richness of the landscape in the Midwest and the Rockies.

Although 1969 passenger railroading in the United States was but a crippled shell of its former self, The Denver Zephyr's well maintained equipment and attentive staff, as well as the incredibly scenic and varied views along the way made it an unforgettable experience, both to and from Denver two weeks later.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.