Gun Hub Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here is my reaction to Doom 3:

:shock:

The game is stunning. Visually, if you have a computer capabile of such extremely entense graphics, it is a work of art. The visuals, compounded with the audio... it creates a level of realism never before seen in a game and is completely emersive.
It's also completely scary.

Some guys might mock video games... but the emersion and the interactivity can completely smoke a movie in terms of entertainment value.

Another thing I liked about it... even if it was pushing my system to the limits - it was completely stabilized and never crashed once. That's the sign of some very good programers right there.
The game is just flawless... it's almost perfect. With the addition of a mod called the Duct Tape Mod... it is.

·
Premium Member
6,935 Posts
I thought that Wolf-3D was the greatest such game ever, and used it to train all one Winter for the NTI. Turned some friends onto it as well, one of whom (Tim de Ily, known to many here) reciprocated and presented me with a Doom CD.

Unfortunately, the box I had at the time was an 8-meg 486SX2-50, and it just didn't have the stones to load it.

Later that year, when I upgraded, that was my first non-OEM installation, and it ran like a dream nightmare. Sucker gave me motion-sickness! Literally!!!

I uninstalled it after several tries, always with the same results… my head swimming and a queasy feeling in my stomach.

A year later, I reinstalled, tried it again, and immediately uninstalled!

I mean, I don't mind suffering for my art or craft, George, but later for something which makes me physically ill. And with each new iteration of a computer game being logarithmically more advanced than the last one, I'm not sure that hurling all over my keyboard is the way I wanna go, know what I mean?!?

·
Registered
3,940 Posts
Got D3 last week. The family was down in FL visiting grandad so I had some down time. With the lights out and the surround turned up it's quite an experience. The sound actually set the pugs to howling, so I had to switch to phones.

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I know what you mean about the motion sickness... some games give that to me too.
Rise of the Triads, the old Wolfenstien... they would make me wanna blow chow.

Make the dogs howl? Yeah, made me about howl too. When the dead guy is hanging from the ceiling and whispers "help me"... or that eviscerated guy still alive nailed up to the ceiling starts screaming.
Ugh. Scary stuff.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts