Gun Hub Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Administrator
7,758 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it as bad as most of the reviews say?

·
Super Moderator
13,173 Posts
It's not horrible, but it's not quite up to the rest of the Swagger canon. Not many twists or surprises in it.

I owe you a favor, Ed. If you want to read it, I'll send you my copy.

·
Registered
1,432 Posts
Not up to snuff for Hunter.

Still, a good read for a lazy day, but you won't want to read it again like some of his other books.

I still think there's material to be mined from Bob Lee's past. There were two other tours in Vietnam, one with SOG.

·
Administrator
7,758 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You don't owe me anything Snake, but I appreciate the offer. I'll probably get around to getting the Ebook version.

Thanks for the replies.

·
Super Moderator
13,173 Posts
The book does have two very interesting characters in it--one very good and one pretty bad. Both are African-Americans. One is a pretty thinly disguised caricature of a well-known public figure. The other is just cool and fun and could be played in the movie by, say, Queen Latifah or Whoopie Goldberg or Wanda Sykes or any of a number of very competent black actresses working today.

·
Registered
3,940 Posts
Or, you might consider Shibumi by Trevanian; one of my my favorites.

·
Premium Member
7,055 Posts
Hunter is great at "thinly disguising"

Frankly I liked it and the first sentence is great

"The bullet hit santa claus under the eye..."

Hunter is pretty skillful in developing his characters and he's got a couple of potental replacements for Swagger that (I bet) will show up again.

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
I think Hunter popped this one out kinda quick. I remember an interview where he said he was contractually obligated to produce another sniper book, but was having a hard time getting motivated.

It's the shortest Hunter novel I've ever read. That being said, it was a page turner for me. I didn't regret spending the $18.00 on Amazon for it.

SPOILER ALERT

The bad guys are Somali muslims. 'Course the big bad is a white guy. :ek:

·
Administrator
7,758 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Or, you might consider Shibumi by Trevanian; one of my my favorites.
I have, several years back. Great suggestion though. :thumbsup:

(I also d/l Soft Target last night)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts