Gun Hub Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
T-Star and Snake have pretty well covered it for you.

There are TONS of AR's sold with flat tops and modified gas blocks that allow you to add BUIS sights front and rear, co-witnessed with a mounted scope. In fact, Windham offers several, and their MSRP's look like they are in your budget range.

A word about Windham. They are the old Bushmaster. Richard ****, the owner of Bushmaster, sold the company to Remington a few years back. Remington moved the plant to Ilion, Illinois, and all of the folks who worked for Bushmaster were suddenly out of a job. This bothered Mr. ****, so when his non-compete clause ran out, he started Windham and hired all of his old employees back. Helluva guy.

Their warranty is also transferable from original owner to any successive owner. That's a nice selling point if you ever decide you want to sell yours and upgrade.

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
Dave, if you get an A3 model, the carrying handle is attached via a picatinny rail system, and is removable, making the rails available for attachment of scopes and sights.

BUIS...yep, that's what it stands for. With the flip up sights you can have a scope or other sighting system (Eotech, Aimpoint, etc) mounted, and if they give out, you pop up the BUIS. They are co-witnessed, meaning they sight through your aiming system. This works well with the red dot/holographic type sighting systems. Don't know about a target style scope. But that's where the quick release system on your scope mount comes in...throw two levers and the scope pops off.

Cheek weld (or spot weld)...it all has to do with consistency, which translates to accuracy. Once you "find" your cheek weld...a point on the stock which you obtain naturally and consistently, and which presents your eye to the scope at the optimum point...you'll be able to hit. If you keep moving your weld, your point of impact can/will change, especially at distance.

A young man who works for me recently bought a Windham. I can vouch for the quality of the specimen I've seen. It's a fine weapon, and he got it for $800, which in AR-15 land is a bargain.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts