Gun Hub Forums banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm buying my first AR soon, and I've been looking at a suppressor from Gemtech. I figure if I'm buying an AR, I might as well start with the coolest accessory of all. So does anyone here use a suppressor? Do they actually get rid of all the noise other than sonic boom? I'd like to use it on my property which is only about 100 yards from a neighboring house, and is heavily treed, do you think that the neighbors would complain?

·
Registered
641 Posts
Are you talking about a flash suppressor or a silencer. First of all, flash suppressors don't do anything to suppress the noise. And many don't do much to suppress the flash, either. Their primary purpose is to prevent flash blindness on the part of the shooter. And a flash suppressor certainly wouldn't make it possible to shoot your AR with neighbors as close as 100 yds.

Suppressors are regulated devices, just like machine guns. In fact, unless I'm mistaken (just might be as I have no use for suppressors) you need to fill out the same paperwork for a suppressor as you would for a machine gun.

·
Registered
4,716 Posts
uuuuhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.....

your first AR in CA better be single-shot or limited to 10 rounds.

flash suppressors only suppress the flash, not the noise at all. you may install flash suppressors on certain weapons here in CA.

no noise suppressors here in CA. Only for Military and L.E. Only. That's it. did I mention that we unwashed are not entitled to them?

you had better check your county and/or city regs. No firearms may be discharged in the vast majority of cities, and in some (e.g., riverside) counties, not within a mile of a city limit.

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
Since he mentioned Gemtech, it's kinda obvious he's talking about a sound suppressor. :roll:

Good point about CA, though. This discussion may be all for naught.

I had the opportunity to witness a suppressed AR-15 at the local range a few weeks ago. I don't know what brand/manufacturer/type ammo he was using, but it definitely reduced the report. Rifle was a ~16" barrel carbine. Sound was less than a .22 rifle, but more than a pellet gun. Just a sharp pop. At 50 yards, every shot was a dead-on, centered bullseye. The guy had skills, and a nice setup. I was kinda busy LOUDLY dumping mags from my AK to pay too much attention... :wink:

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
David Gorzsas said:
deltaheavy1 said:
Since he mentioned Gemtech, it's kinda obvious he's talking about a sound suppressor. :roll:
Not as obvious as one might think. "Gemtech" means nothing to me.
http://www.google.com

Homework, grasshopper. :wink:

And it's pretty obvious that a flash suppressor does nothing for sound. Come on, guys, give him some credit for common sense...

·
Registered
4,716 Posts
I answered both possibilities in my initial post. now THAT deserves credit. :wink:

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
I have a Gemtech M4-96C on a 10-inch barreled SBR. It's a great little suppressor, but on this short of barrel, it's just quiet to shoot without hearing protection. On a 20-inch barrel, it's quite a bit more quiet. If it were legal to use it in your situation, I think a suppressor like this on a 20-inch barrel would work just fine. Again, they're not legal in CA.

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
:eek:

Can I come play at your house???

:lol: 8) :wink:

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
Casual said:
just a little suprised at the lack of alternative optics.
What, you mean like use your other eye?

:wink:

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for the opinions guys, guess I should have mentioned I'm moving to Texas this week. My present to myself for landing a new job is going to be a scarylookingubertacticalblackpoodleshooter. I guess I should have specified sound suppressor, as well.

TB, which mounting system do you have on the M4-96C? It's definitely a sweet looking system, just about what I'm looking for. I was probably going to go for the M4 length barrel, and I think that would look real nice out on there on the end.

As for the Class III implications of a suppressor, David, I am aware of those, and I'm thinking the $200 stamp is just what I need to use some of my signing bonus money on. :wink:

Edited to add: Forgot to mention that my property down in TX is a few acres out in the boonies, so no city limit worries for me, just a few hundred yards of slightly downsloping, backstopped, tree lined firing range...or soon will be. :D

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
Farnham, way to go! Good on you for escaping the Communist Coast and moving to Texas, the greatest state on earth. I was born and raised there, and it beats the #ell out of SoCal. You can have plenty of big boy toys now, stuff that will make Feinstein quiver with fear.

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
Ya'll can come over and shoot when ever you like. Seriously, if any of you are ever in Oregon let me know; if you're gonna be close by, we can head out to the range for a bit.

As for the set up in the pic, it's all Colt say for the suppressor. The Gemtech M4-96C is a thread on unit. The barrel was specially built for this application by Ken Elmore at SAW; the gas port in the barrel is so small, the weapon won't cycle without the suppressor attached (I've tried). If I had it to do all over again I would not have bought this suppressor, I would have bought Gemtech's M4-96D (the QD model). It's the same suppressor but with the QD capability. That said, I'm hoping to have a M4-96D in the safe before the end of 2005.

Either way, Gemtceh builds one heck of a suppressor, I have seen a few others like the AWC Thundertrap and the AAC Raider and will stick with Gemtech. One that I have not gotten to play with is the SWR SpecWar, but I don't know if we (civilians) can get the QD model. You would not go wrong with Gemtech!

As for the optics, I have played with a number of optics on arfs. That pictured suppressed Colt has had a few different Trijicon sights on it, an EOTech an Aimpoint and a Leupold C/QT. They're all a lot of fun and I can see where they would be an asset (all except the Trijicon Reflex) but I've been spending my gun money on weapons so far (and tax stamps) and have yet to get optics on too many of my weapons. If I ever do put anything on that suppressed arf it'll be the Leupold C/QT. For now though it just has a Trijicon front sight.

·
Registered
745 Posts
Who cares if they work? They look cool as hell.

·
Registered
3,092 Posts
Farnham said:
Do they actually get rid of all the noise other than sonic boom?
So is anybody going to answer his question?

Yes and No! It all depends on the ammo being used.

I have an AWC Raider on my Colt M4. It's a screw-on model and uses special lock washers to prevent coming loose.

I only use WIN Q3131A M193 ball ammo in my field guns. With the suppressor on, I can safely shoot it without muffs on. It's still supersonic but the noise level is like shooting a .22LR. Accuracy is unaffected and the gun cycles properly.

I also use Engle Ballistic Research Ultra Stealth 63gr subsonic ammo. This ammo will NOT cycle a semi auto weapon. With the suppressor on, all you hear is the hammer drop, "phfffft" from the barrel and "thump" on the target. This ammo and suppressor combo is scarily quiet! Again, the accuracy is unaffected.

Don't get hung up on who's can has the higher decibel reduction. All the top suppressor builders are pretty well equal. And "quiet" is very subjective to the shooter. You may think my combo is loud. Buy from a good company with good service. Don't buy something because the dealer is trying to hawk it on you.

Moe

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
mjmensale said:
So is anybody going to answer his question?

Moe
Moe, read my first post. Sound level was addressed on the first page.

deltaheavy1 said:
I don't know what brand/manufacturer/type ammo he was using, but it definitely reduced the report. Rifle was a ~16" barrel carbine. Sound was less than a .22 rifle, but more than a pellet gun. Just a sharp pop.
And TB sez:

TB said:
I have a Gemtech M4-96C on a 10-inch barreled SBR. It's a great little suppressor, but on this short of barrel, it's just quiet to shoot without hearing protection. On a 20-inch barrel, it's quite a bit more quiet.
But thanks for chiming in. More details never hurt, especially when you're looking to drop this kind of cash. :wink:

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
mjmensale, that info on the best ammo to use was a question I hadn't asked but should've. Lots of good info there, appreciate it.

Next question, anyone know a Class III FFL in San Antonio? :wink:

1 - 20 of 29 Posts