Gun Hub Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Site Founder
4,081 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
From the Motorcycle NewsWire...
Chicago Sun-Times Columnist Calls Motorcyclist Organ Donors

According to Tom Lindsay, Director of Public Information for AMA, Chicago Sun-Times columnist Neil Steinberg believes all motorcyclist are simply organ donors. Steinberg's recent column headline "Hop On A Motorcycle, Fill Out Your Donor Card" outraged AMA officials.

September 23, 2004

Chicago, IL.; (MCNW) If you believe Chicago Sun-Times columnist Neil Steinberg, motorcycle riders are pretty sure bets to become organ donors simply because they ride motorcycles.

As a motorcycle rider, you know that's not true. But if you're not a motorcyclist, like most of his readers, you may take the ill-informed comment to heart. What's worse, Steinberg thinks it's a joke.
For the complete story, click here.

Published with Permission of Motorcycle NewsWire.com

·
Banned
3,118 Posts
My brother who spent quite a few years working ER's refers to them as "Donorcycles" -- Dr's seem to have a warped sense of humor such as calling Aids "Hi Five" (HI V) or calling old people "Gomers"

·
Registered
93 Posts
I ride.The label doesn't bother me.

I didn't check the donor box though......I guess my organs will just go to waste......Buried with me......Where they belong.:)

·
Registered
200 Posts
Gomers = guys on motorable enemy routes

No organ donor here. I did give away a piano one time, though. Heh, heh. 8)

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
I tend to take a different view of experienced bikers.
They tend to be highly intelligent, careful, calulating, and forward thinking people.
They have to be. They have to think things through, plan ahead, and have the self control to be able to handle the awesome power they are controlling.
I'm not talking about the dipsticks riding crotch rockets wearing T-Shirts and Sunglasses on a bike with temp tags... I'm talking about the guys with thousands of miles under their belt.

·
Registered
321 Posts
My cousin owns an R6 and he's no organ donor, never even layed the bike down at all. He's owned that bike for about 2 or 3 years now and never even gotten one ticket. He's seen his fare share of knarly accidents worst one he told me, a guy being stupid tried pulling a stopie and went out in front of a semi :shock: . Needless to say that guys organs weren't going to be usable.

G

·
It depends a lot on how the rider. Back in '85 when I was younger and not as wise as I am today I drove an '84 Rabbit GTI pretty hard. Not as fast as a bike but quicker than about three fourths of the cars on the road. I was hightailing the transition ramp from I8 westbound to I5 southbound at near redline in third gear and some nutcase on a bike passed me without lingering. My gal friend and I said something about organ donors at the same time.

I think it's pretty safe to say that a ~600cc ricerocket is likely to have an organ donor on the saddle. A $30,000 Hog will have a rider with some comprehension of his mortality.

·
Registered
4,812 Posts
The relevant statistic (which I cannot cite with authority) is that the vast majority of deaths and serious injuries occur within the first six months of motorcycle ownership. New owners, means: young and inexperienced owners. There is a wide selection of very capable crotch rockets that are affordable to any motivated, recent high school grad, with a steady job. It seems reasonable that this demographic accounts for most of the bent and broken bodies resulting from motorcycle accidents. It ain't hard to find a bike that will outrun the common sense and abilities of the average 19 year old testosterone factory. BTDT!

A while ago, I looked for some statistics regarding the LOD injuries among motorcycle cops. I couldn't find a thing, but I suspect that such a group (older more experienced riders) would have a pretty reasonable safety record. Even though they log far more miles per year than most recreational riders.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts